By Nikki Sherrill, Athletic Communications and Media Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Ana Lacerda of Northwestern Ohio has been named the NAIA National Women's Tennis Player of the Week, the national office announced Wednesday. Lacerda was selected based on her performances from April 17 – 23 and was chosen out of a pool of conference, Association of Independent Institutions and unaffiliated group winners.
National Tennis Player of the Week
Ana Lacerda, Northwestern Ohio
Sr., Brasilia, Brazil
• Lacerda played up in both her singles and doubles matches of the week and went 2-0 individually.
• In her match against Concordia (Mich.), Lacerda earned victories in both singles and doubles.
• While playing up at No. 2 doubles, Lacerda and Whitney Vispoel earned an 8-1 victory over Concordia and claimed an 8-0 sweep over Aquinas (Mich.).
• Her two wins helped secure the team's third Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference regular-season championship.
• This is Lacerda's first National Player of the Week honor.
Nominees: Felicia Cesar, William Woods (Mo.); Priscila Nunez, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.); Carolina Yepez, Purdue Northwest (Ind.); Rachel Bottorff, Indiana Wesleyan; Molly Fletchall, Taylor (Ind.); Katie Golka, College of Saint Mary (Neb.); Sarah Knight, Hastings (Neb.); Annie Allmand, Midland (Neb.); Cheyanna Kempel, Doane (Neb.); Annie Horn, Concordia (Neb.); Cassie Stanek, Morningside (Iowa); Charlene Goreau, Xavier (La.); Valeria Podda, Georgia Gwinnett; Olivia Medaris, Southwestern (Kan.); Brittany Zipf, McPherson (Kan.); Kaede Amano, Campbellsville (Ky.); Maria Emilia Montenegro, LSU Alexandria; Brooklyn Hubbard, Indiana East; Elizabeth Toth, Midway (Ky.); Sina Marchione, Mobile (Ala.); Wendy Barsotti, William Carey (Miss.); Camille Gbaguidi, SCAD Savannah (Ga.)
2017 Women's Tennis Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (March 22): Rachel Bottorff, Indiana Wesleyan
Week 2 (March 29): Vladica Djurdjevic, Northwestern Ohio
Week 3 (April 5): Sara Andrade, LSU Alexandria (La.)
Week 4 (April 11): Camille Gbaguidi, SCAD Savannah (Ga.)
Week 5 (April 19): Paula Gordillo, LSU Alexandria (La.)
Week 6 (April 26): Ana Lacerda, Northwestern Ohio