2017 NAIA Men's Cross Country Coaches' Top 25 Poll - No. 2
By Trevor Lininger, NAIA Athletic Communications and Media Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – The Raiders of Southern Oregon holds on to the No. 1 spot in the NAIA Men’s Cross Country Coaches’ Top 25 Poll for the fourth time in a row, the national office announced Wednesday.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 1999)
- This is the Raider’s 33rd No. 1 ranking in program history, and 21st in the last five years
- Southern Oregon claimed 17 first place votes and 558 total points
- Northwest Christian (Ore.), Indiana Wesleyan and Texas Wesleyan joined the Top 25 for the first time in 2017 at No. 18, 20 and 23 respectively
- Southern Oregon holds the record for the most No. 1 rankings with 33
- The longest active streak of being in the Top 25 also belongs to Southern Oregon, with 87 straight appearances, dating back to 2008
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences.
- Each conference is given one rater for every four schools in the league.
- The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 25 points for each first-place vote, 24 for second-place and so on through the list.
- The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
- Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes.”
For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
2017 NAIA Men's Cross Country Coaches' Top 25 Poll - No. 2 (Sept. 27)
|RANK||LAST WEEK||SCHOOL (1ST PLACE VOTES)||FINAL POINTS|
|1||1||Southern Oregon (17)||558|
|2||2||St. Francis (Ill.) (1)||539|
|3||3||British Columbia (2)||528|
|4||7||Lewis-Clark State (Idaho)||504|
|5||10||College of Idaho||478|
|10||4||The Master's (Calif.)||380|
|11||12||Saint Mary (Kan.)||379|
|12||18||Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)||364|
|17||9||Shawnee State (Ohio)||265|
|18||NR||Northwest Christian (Ore.)||242|
Others Receiving Votes: Aquinas (Mich.) 121; Doane (Neb.) 91; Wayland Baptist (Texas) 67; Montreat (N.C.) 54; SCAD Savannah (Ga.) 34; Siena Heights (Mich.) 18; Carroll (Mont.) 10; Campbellsville (Ky.) 4; Goshen (Ind.) 3
Dropped From Top 25: Marian (Ind.), Aquinas (Mich.), Carroll (Mont.)