Story by Trevor Lininger, NAIA Athletic Communications and Media Intern
Pictures courtesy of Alex Fuenmayor. To order photos, CLICK HERE.
DELRAY BEACH, Fla. – (Bracket | Media Guide) After 12 great soccer matches at the 59th annual NAIA Men’s Soccer National Championship in Delray Beach, Fla., the semifinal matchups are all set. The championship will run through Saturday, December 2 with the national championship final match set for 6 p.m. EST. This is the fourth straight year in which the championship has been co-hosted by the Palm Beach County Sports Commission and Keiser University (Fla.).
- Wayland Baptist (Texas) tied No. 12 Columbia (Mo.)
- Wayland Baptist advances on PKs, 5-4
- No. 1 Oklahoma Wesleyan def. No. 8 Georgia Gwinnett, 3-0
- No. 3 Missouri Valley def. No. 6 Mobile (Ala.), 2-0
- No. 10 Marymount California def. No. 2 William Carey (Miss.), 3-2
- For the third time in two days, a game at the NAIA Men’s Soccer National Championship went in to penalty kicks, as the un-ranked Wayland Baptist Pioneers remained tied at 1 with the No. 12 Columbia Cougars.
- Ziggy Camejo of Wayland Baptist notched 6 saves and Nicolau Neto saved 7 shots, while both allowed one goal through regulation and two overtime periods.
- Following two miraculous saves from Camejo, Luis Almeida made his penalty kick shot to send the Pioneers to the semifinals.
- In the Pioneers one previous NAIA National Championship appearance, which came in 2016, the team was 0-1-0. The Pioneers have gone 2-0-1 in this year’s tournament to earn the program’s first semifinal appearance.
- The top seeded Eagles of Oklahoma Wesleyan took care of business once again, winning by a score of 3-0 for the second day in a row.
- Despite the three goals, Grizzly goalie Matija Gligorovic made four saves on 17 shots from Oklahoma Wesleyan.
- Aleksander Simovic and Stefan Lukic accounted for all of the Eagles’ offensive production, as Simovic scored twice, with an assist from Lukic on his first goal, and Lukic scored a goal of his own as well.
- A near-perfect corner kick from Slaven Baskalo to the head of Maurits Gersen put Missouri Valley on the board in the 36th minute.
- In a tightly contested second half, Sergio Toro sealed the game with an unassisted goal in the 83rd minute, eliminating Mobile, the last remaining program with a previous national championship.
- No. 2 seed William Carey took an early lead from Marymount California when the Mariners scored an own-goal, and extended their lead with a goal from Simon Ekman.
- Marymount California's Nedin Zukanovic put the Mariners back in contention with two goals.
- With the match tied at 2, Marymount California's Alxander Reece scored a dramatic goal in the 83rd minute that would be the difference maker and send the Mariners to the semifinals.
- The top-seeded Eagles of Oklahoma Wesleyan will kick off the semifinals against the last un-seeded team in the tournament, the Wayland Baptist Pioneers on Friday, December 1, at 4:00 p.m. EST in Delray Beach, Fla.
How to Watch:
- The NAIA Network – the association’s official video streaming home – will broadcast all 15 matches live at the 2017 NAIA Men’s Soccer National Championship final site in Delray Beach, Fla. The video platform, powered by Stretch Internet, allows users access to live video, statistics, and social interaction on a number of devices, including mobile. Single day passes can be purchased for $9.95, while an all-championship tournament package is available at $29.95. For more information and to pre-register, click HERE.