Story by Matt Hicks, NAIA Media Assistant
Pictures courtesy of Referee Photo. To order photos, CLICK HERE
ORANGE BEACH, Ala. – (Box Score) No. 2 Spring Arbor (Mich.) def. No. 3 University of Northwestern Ohio 2-0 in the semifinals of the 34th annual NAIA Women’s Soccer National Championship to advance to the championship match Saturday at 3 p.m. CST at the Orange Beach Sportsplex.
17:13 | Spring Arbor | Kaley Buck (awassisted by Malorie Henderlong)
81:30 | Spring Arbor | Kaley Buck (assisted by Renee Broekhuizen and Bethany Balcer)
Inside The Box Score
- The Cougars took the lead at the 17:13 mark when Malorie Henderlong’s corner kick made it to the far side of the 18-yard box, where Kaley Buck flicked it past the goalkeeper
- Spring Arbor used a set piece to put the game away in the 81st minute, when Bethany Balcer headed Renee Broekhuizen’s free kick across the front of the goal, where it was redirected into the goal by Buck
- The Cougars won despite taking only five shots, with three being on frame, while University of Northwestern Ohio put five of 11 shots on target, but the Cougars’ goalkeeper Ashley Timmons was up to the challenge with a five-save shutout
- The Racers’ best scoring chances came in the 69th minute when a pair of looks from inside the 18-yard box were turned away by the Spring Arbor defense
- Spring Arbor heads to the final game for the third-straight season after winning it all in 2015 and finishing second last season
- No. 2 Spring Arbor (Mich.) will face No. 9 Benedictine (Kan.) Saturday at 3 p.m. CST in the title contest.
How to Watch:
- The NAIA Network – the association’s official video streaming home – will broadcast all 15 matches live at the 2017 NAIA Women’s Soccer National Championship final site in Orange Beach, Ala. The video platform, powered by Stretch Internet, allows users access to live video, statistics, and social interaction on a number of devices, including mobile. Single day passes can be purchased for $9.95, while an all-championship tournament package is available at $29.95. For more information and to pre-register, click HERE.