KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Faulkner (Ala.) extends its run at the top to three-straight polls, as the Eagles claim the No. 1 ranking in the third regular-season edition of the 2018 NAIA Baseball Coaches’ Top 25 Poll, the national office announced Tuesday. Faulkner garnered all 18 first-place votes and 498 total points.
Top 25 Highlights (information dates back to 2000)
• Faulkner owns the No. 1 ranking for the 16th time in program history.
• The Eagles enter the week coming off a successful homestand against No. 2 Georgia Gwinnett. Faulkner won two-of-three games in the series to push its record to 33-3.
• The Eagles have nine games remaining on their regular-season schedule, including a showdown with Tennessee Wesleyan on April 11.
• Two new teams joined the Top 25 – No. 23 Cumberlands (Ky.) and No. 25 Friends (Kan.). Friends
• No. 4 Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) leads all active members with 60 total No. 1 mentions, dating back to 2000. Ten other teams have been ranked No. 1 in at least two polls: Oklahoma City (34), Faulkner (16), former member Lubbock Christian (Texas) (13), former member Embry-Riddle (Fla.) (11), Georgia Gwinnett (8), LSU Shreveport (La.) (6), former member Lee (Tenn.) (6), Cumberland (Tenn.) (6) and Tennessee Wesleyan (2).
• The Southern States Athletic Conference leads all leagues with four teams ranked in the Top 25 – Faulkner, No. 11 William Carey (Miss.), No. 13 Mobile (Ala.) and No. 17 Middle Georgia State.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences and the Association of Independent Institutions.
• The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for second-place and so on through the list.
• The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
• Teams that receive only one point on the ballot are not considered “receiving votes”
• The frequency of the polls is bi-weekly. This policy was approved by the National Administrative Council (NAC) prior to the 2016-17 academic season. This change allows raters the opportunity to consider a larger body of work between rating periods.
• For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
2018 NAIA Baseball Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – No. 3 (April 3, 2018)
|RANK||PRVS*||SCHOOL (1ST PLACE VOTES)||RECORD||TOTAL POINTS|
|1||1||Faulkner (Ala.) (18)||33-3||498|
|4||5||Lewis-Clark State (Idaho)||24-5||439|
|5||7||St. Thomas (Fla.)||34-4||429|
|7||8||Science & Arts (Okla.)||27-4||408|
|8||6||William Jessup (Calif.)||33-8||380|
|11||11||William Carey (Miss.)||25-10||337|
|14||16||Point Park (Pa.)||25-2||268|
|17||15||Middle Georgia State||28-11||250|
|18||17||Antelope Valley (Calif.)||27-9-1||233|
|24||24||Central Methodist (Mo.)||23-8||133|
Dropped from the Top 25 Poll: Wayland Baptist (Texas) (No. 23); Cumberlands (Tenn.) (No. 25)
Others receiving votes: Westmont (Calif.) 69; Reinhardt (Ga.) 64; IU Southeast (Ind.) 54; Cumberland (Tenn.) 46; Columbia (Mo.) 32; LSU Shreveport (La.) 27; Tennessee Wesleyan 26; Webber International (Fla.) 23; University of Northwestern Ohio 6; Vanguard (Calif.) 3.
*Ranking from 2018 Poll No. 2 (March 20, 2018)