By Chad Waller, Director of Athletic Communications and Media
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Allison Seats of Central Baptist (Ark.) has been named the NAIA National Softball Player of the Week and Breena Smith of Marian (Ind.) has been named the NAIA National Softball Pitcher of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Seats and Smith were selected based on their performances from April 16 – 22, and were chosen out of a pool of conference, independent and unaffiliated group winners.
Softball Player of the Week
Allison Seats, Central Baptist (Ark.)
Fr., C, Jacksonville, Ark.
- Has hit safely in her last eight games that she has had at least one plate appearance
- Weekly Stats
- Hit for a .708 average in 10 games (17-for-24)
- In the eight games with a plate appearance on the week, she recorded two-plus hits seven times
- Finished with 15 runs scored, 15 RBI, five homers, nine extra-base hits and three stolen bases
Softball Pitcher of the Week
Breena Smith, Marian (Ind.)
Jr., P, Indianapolis, Ind.
- In her fourth and final outing of the week, she posted a no-hitter with seven strikeouts against Goshen (Ind.) on April 22
- Weekly Stats
- Allowed one earned run in 27.0 innings to tally a 0.26 ERA
- She fanned 23 batters en route to a 4-0 record for the Knights
- One of her victories came against No. 11 Indiana Wesleyan on April 21 (W, 6-1) when she allowed one run on two hits
Player Nominees: Lauren Talton, Union (Ky.); Benavides Berlyn, La Sierra (Calif.); Ali Graham, Oregon Tech; Payton Carli, Trinity International (Ill.); Jordan Burman, Spring Arbor (Mich.); Natalie Basaldua, William Jessup (Calif.); Rachel Evavold, Dordt (Iowa); Dakota Buttrey, Graceland (Iowa); RaeQuinn Rossetti, Georgia Gwinnett; Sydney Brown, British Columbia; Lindsay Maryon, Kansas Wesleyan; Tori Humphrey, Campbellsville (Ky.); Kelsey Hamade, Valley City State (N.D.); Emily Flores, Houston-Victoria (Texas); Alexis Rouse, Cincinnati Christian (Ohio); Jaci Smith, Oklahoma City; Margaret Simmons, Middle Georgia State; Haliegh Harrell, Southeastern (Fla.); Emily Martin, Indiana Tech.
Pitcher Nominees: Catherine Totty, Williams Baptist (Ark.); Ryan Simpson, Point (Ga.); Sarai Camacho, La Sierra (Calif.); Sabrina Boyd, Corban (Ore.); Jamie Kiefer, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.); Shelbi Graifman, William Jessup (Calif.); Jaylee Hinrichs, Midland (Neb.); Olivia Brees, Baker (Kan.); Piper Wagner, Georgia Gwinnett; Emma Tuson, British Columbia; Abbey Ely, Oklahoma Wesleyan; Hannah Morton, Georgetown (Ky.); Haley Butterfield, Valley City State (N.D.); Ashley Nipper, Texas A&M Texarkana; Mallory Powell, Rio Grande (Ohio); Caitlin Butler, Mid-America Christian (Okla.); Emma Cornell, Faulkner (Ala.); Lauren West, Thomas (Ga.); Gina Verduzco, Michigan-Dearborn.
2018 Softball Composite Award Winners (Pitcher, Player)
Week 1 (March 21): Emily Smith, Valley City State (N.D.); Caitlin McNiff, Missouri Baptist
Week 2 (March 28): Morghan Dieringer, St. Francis (Ill.); Chloe Clifton, Science & Arts (Okla.)
Week 3 (April 3): Anessa Cepeda, Hope International (Calif.); Cassie Kuizin, Taylor (Ind.)
Week 4 (April 10): Makenna Aycock, Texas Wesleyan; Bailey Terry, Texas Wesleyan
Week 5 (April 17): Georgia Wall, Oklahoma City; Kristen Exposito, Indiana Wesleyan
Week 6 (April 24): Breena Smith, Marian (Ind.); Allison Seats, Central Baptist (Ark.)