By Jed Flemming, NAIA Athletics Communications and Media Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – After capturing their fifth-straight national championship, Georgia Gwinnett garnered all 14 first-place votes to finish the season as the No. 1 team for the 37th-straight poll in the postseason edition of the 2018 NAIA Men’s Tennis Coaches’ Top 25 Poll, the national office announced on Wednesday.
Top 25 Highlights
• Georgia Gwinnett stayed perfect on the year to win the 2018 NAIA Men’s Tennis National Championship. The title is the fifth-straight for the Grizzlies.
• The Grizzlies finished the season as the lone undefeated team with a 27-0 record on the season. Georgia Gwinnett also extended its winning streak to 82-straight wins. This is the longest active winning streak in all levels of college sports.
• Reinhardt (Ga.) made an incredible run at the national championship to jump from No. 14 in the previous poll to No. 5 this poll. At the national championship, the Eagles upset then-No. 3 Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) and then-No. 6 Cumberland (Tenn.) to advance to their first-ever national championship semifinal. No. 5 is the highest ranking in program history for the Eagles.
• The longest consecutive active streak in the poll is owned by No. 3 Xavier (La.) with 95-consecutive appearances. No. 17 Westmont (Calif.) follows with 81-straight appearances.
• There were no newcomers this week.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences, Association of Independent Institutions and Unaffiliated Groups.
• The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for second-place and so on through the list.
• The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low ratings) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appears on.
• Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes”
• Frequency of polls occur bi-weekly. This policy was approved by the National Administrative Council (NAC) for the 2017-18 academic season. This change will allow raters the opportunity to consider a larger body of work in between rating periods.
• For the complete ratings calendar, CLICK HERE
2018 NAIA Men’s Tennis Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – POSTSEASON (May 23, 2018)
|RANK||WEEK||SCHOOL [1st Place Votes]||Record||FINAL POINTS|
|1||1||Georgia Gwinnett ||27-0||374|
|4||5||William Carey (Miss.)||13-4||327|
|6||3||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||14-1||313|
|7||7||William Woods (Mo.)||16-7||307|
|10||9||Cardinal Stritch (Wis.)||16-5||265|
|13||13||Middle Georgia State||12-8||232|
|15||12||University of Northwestern Ohio||13-6||195|
|18||18||San Diego Christian (Calif.)||8-8||167|
|20||20||Lawrence Tech (Mich.)||20-6||144|
Others Receiving Votes: Texas A&M-Texarkana 82, Bethany (Kan.) 44; Loyola (La.) 40; Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) 30; Missouri Valley 25; St. Francis (Ill.) 11; Aquinas (Mich.) 10; Bluefield (Va.) 7; Hastings (Neb.) 7; Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.) 6