2015 Men’s Cross Country Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – No. 3
By Colbi Howser, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – The Southern Oregon Raiders are the No. 1 team in the third regular-season NAIA Men’s Cross Country Coaches’ Top 25 Poll, the national office announced Wednesday. The third poll will be released on Oct. 7.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 1999):
• Southern Oregon is No. 1 after receiving 17-of-the 20 possible first-place votes for a total of 558 points. They have been ranked No. 1 for four straight weeks.
• No. 2 Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) is 24 points behind No. 1 Southern Oregon in the Top 25 Poll.
• No. 9 British Columbia has been ranked in every Top 25 poll for four-consecutive years.
• Northwestern (Iowa) and Wayland Baptist (Texas) have dropped out of the Top 25 poll after being ranked the last three weeks.
• Seven teams have managed to keep their spot in the top 10 for the first four weeks of the season including: No. 1 Southern Oregon, No. 2 Lewis-Clark State (Idaho), No. 3 Indiana Wesleyan and No. 5 Carroll (Mont.).
• After receiving votes in last week’s Top 25 poll, Cornerstone (Mich.) finds a spot at No.25 after not being ranked since Oct. 10, 2012.
• Indiana Wesleyan moved to the top 3 after being ranked fourth the last two Top 25 polls.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences and the Association of Independent Institutions.
• The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for second-place and so on through the list.
• The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low ratings) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appears on.
• Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes”
• For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
2015 NAIA Men's Cross Country Coaches' Top 25 Poll - No. 3 (Sept. 30)
|RANK||LAST||SCHOOL (1ST PLACE VOTES)||FINAL POINTS|
|1||1||Southern Oregon (17)||558|
|2||2||Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) (1)||534|
|4||2||Oklahoma City (2)||501|
|6||6||St. Francis (Ill.)||486|
|7||7||Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)||447|
|11||12||Saint Mary (Kan.)||378|
|12||11||College of Idaho||373|
|16||16||Shawnee State (Ohio)||289|
|18||17||The Master’s (Calif.)||261|
|19||20||Northwest Christian (Ore.)||211|
|21||22||Dalton State (Ga.)||192|
Dropped from the Top 25: No. 22 Wayland Baptist (Texas); No. 18 Northwestern (Iowa)
Others receiving votes: Wayland Baptist (Texas) 122; Northwestern (Iowa) 115; SCAD Savannah (Ga.) 76; Milligan (Tenn.) 33; Goshen (Ind.) 31; Dickinson State (N.D.) 30; Embry-Riddle (Ariz.) 10; Biola (Calif.) 6; Texas Wesleyan 5; Kansas Wesleyan 4; Campbellsville (Ky.) 3.
^Based off Coaches’ Poll from Sept. 23, 2015