2017 NAIA Baseball National Player of the Week - No. 7 (May 2)
Baseball Pitcher of the Week
Luis Vilchez, Culver-Stockton (Mo.)
5-11, Sr., P, Cabimas, Venezuela
• Hurled a no-hitter against Graceland (Iowa) to lead Culver-Stockton to a 1-0 win.
• Only blemish in the contest was one hit batter in the second inning.
• Tossed eight strikeouts and had no walks in the meeting.
• Among his 100 pitches, Vilchez recorded 10 fly-ball outs and three groundball outs to seal the victory.
• This is Vilchez's first National Pitcher of the Week honor.
Baseball Player of the Week
Andrew Gross, Houston-Victoria (Texas)
6-2, Sr., 1B, Alvin, Texas
• The Red River Athletic Conference home run hitter tied the Houston-Victoria all-time career record by belting his 38th on the last day of regular-season.
• In just two seasons on the field for the Jaguars, Gross earned tied the record.
• In 38 chances, Gross did not commit an error last week.
• Recorded four hits and two home runs in Houston-Victoria's first win in five-straight meetings against NCAA Division II St. Mary's (Texas).
• This is Gross' first National Player of the Week honor.
For the complete list of national statistical leaders, click here.
For the entire national player of the week calendar, click here.
Player Nominees: Andrew Warner, Columbia (Mo.); Francisco Ogando, Union (Ky.); Randy Rubio, Marymount (Calif.); Ben Hill, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.); Andrew Kennedy, Taylor (Ind.); J.j. Robinson, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho); Michael Sexton, The Master's (Calif.); Tyler Nelson, Concordia (Neb.); Daryl Myers, Benedictine (Kan.); Jacob Jones, Tabor (Kan.); Brett Hamilton, Campbellsville (Ky.); Mannie De La Rosa, Viterbo (Wis.); Carlos Flores, Rio Grande (Ohio); Ernesto Lizardi, Wayland Baptist (Texas); Andy Mocahbee, Middle Georgia State; Bobby Wenthe, USC Beaufort (S.C.); Glen Crabtree, Lourdes (Ohio)
Pitcher Nominees: K.j. Courtney, Park (Mo.); Ty Plumley, Point (Ga.); Tyler Sharp, Antelope Valley (Calif.); Josh Arnold , Purdue Northwest (Ind.); Tim Olvaney, Indiana Wesleyan; Matt Fish, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho); Brandon Conlin, Hope International (Calif.); Josh Prater, Concordia (Neb.); Johnny Hemenes, York (Neb.); Bruce Bell, Pikeville (Ky.); James Lewis, Presentation (S.D.); Marvin Galarza, Southwest (N.M.); Addison Domingo, Point Park (Pa.); Evan Rogers, Texas Wesleyan; Mason Klotz, Middle Georgia State; John Jaeger, Southeastern (Fla.); Kyle Thomas, Northwestern Ohio
2016-17 Baseball Composite Award Winners (Pitcher, Player)
Week 1 (March 21): Nolan Krivijanski, Point Park (Pa.); Randy Ventura, Science & Arts (Okla.)
Week 2 (March 28): Logan Underhill, Martin Methodist (Tenn.); Brandon Shaffer, Indiana Wesleyan
Week 3 (April 4): Derik Bontempo, Bellevue (Neb.); Nicholas Beardsley, Point Park (Pa.)
Week 4 (April 11): Billy Damon, York (Neb.); Robert Winslow, The Master's (Calif.)
Week 5 (April 18): Brady Nygaard, Mayville State (N.D.); Zach Draper, College of Idaho
Week 6 (April 25): Matt Oxner, St. Gregory's (Okla.); Stephan Zanoni, Clarke (Idaho)
Week 7 (May 2): Luis Vilchez, Culver-Stockton (Mo.); Andrew Gross, Houston-Victoria (Texas)