Geared Towards Growth
The COP consists of institutional chief executive officers who are elected to represent conference, independent institutions and members at-large with the COP chair, chair-elect and three members of the council serving as the council’s Executive Committee.
“I believe this was a tremendously productive couple of days,” said Jim Carr, NAIA president and CEO. “We were able to focus on key areas of our association, while spending considerable time on developing new strategies to enhance the NAIA as a whole.”
Carr, along with four other members of the internal management team, provided association updates and discussed future direction with the group. Areas of focus included: membership, conferences, championships, emerging sports, the Champions of Character program, drug education and testing, marketing and communications, and the Eligibility Center.
Overall the COP approved actions in six key areas, as outlined below.
In its final action, the council nominated and approved Morningside College (Iowa) president John C. Reynders as the new chair of the COP. Reynders, who served this past year as a member of the Executive Committee, will take over for Dr. Les Purce, president of Evergreen State College (Wash.), at the annual NAIA Convention in April 2015.
NAIA Council of Presidents Approved Actions – Fall 2013
• An enhancement to the association’s academic reporting to now require all NAIA member institutions to use the NAIA Eligibility Certification Processing (ECP) software. Additionally, charged the Council of Faculty Athletic Representatives (CFAR) to develop specific recommendations regarding academic data.
Conference Review Committee
• COP body approved and supported six recommendations and five requirements that were brought forward by the Conference Review Committee. Areas of focus involved: improving documentation, developing strategies for marketing and outreach, and updating guidelines for commissioners and presidents communications.
Champions of Character Foundation Board
• Dr. Donna Pacicca was approved as a new member to the board for a three-year term.
• Gary Henson was reappointed to an additional three-year term.
Eligibility Center Net Revenues
• Establishment of capital improvement fund to replace depreciated operational assets.
• Conference certification deadline will now coincide with the deadline for institutional declaration of intent.
Organizational Growth Strategy
• COP encouraged NAIA staff to continue in the direction of pursuing growth initiatives. Additionally, the council agreed to allow the use of Eligibility Center net revenues as a driver of growth orientated programs. The NAIA staff is responsible for providing the COP a detailed account of priorities at the 2014 NAIA Convention in April.