KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Menlo (Calif.) sits atop in the final regular-season edition of the NAIA Women’s Wrestling Coaches’ Top-20 poll. The Oaks accumulated 292 total points.
NAIA Women’s Wrestling Coaches’ Top 20 Poll Highlights
- Menlo (Calif.) claimed the No. 1-ranked individual wrester in five weight classes – Alleida Martinez (109), Gracie Figueroa (116), Solin Piearcy (136), Angela Peralta (143), Iman Kazem (155)
- Wayland Baptist (Texas) is ranked second as a team with 212 points. The Pioneers have one wrestler in the top spot of their weight class – Ovieonce Ray (101)
- The top-six teams stayed the same
- Three other teams have at least one ranked individual grappler in the No. 1-spot – Eastern Oregon, Campbellsville (Ky.), Missouri Baptist and Oklahoma City.
- Oklahoma City joins the top-20 after missing out last poll.
- Central Christian (Kan.) fell out of the rankings this edition.
- This is the first year for women’s wrestling as an NAIA invitational sport. Twenty-five NAIA institutions field wrestling teams during the 2018-2019 season. Women’s wrestling will be eligible for championship status after two years of competition as an invitational sport and 40 institutions sponsor a varsity women’s wrestling team.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the four conferences and groupings.
- Two days prior to the national poll, each qualifying group rater submits the top six individuals from each weight class in his conference into the system. Only wrestlers listed on a conference ballot are considered for the national ballot.
- The top 20 individuals in each weight class are based on how each voter ranks the best individuals. An individual receives 20 points for each first-place vote, 19 for second place and so on through the list. This same point system is used to determine the team ranking.
- For the complete Top 20 calendar, click here.
2018-2019 NAIA Women’s Wrestling Coaches Top 20 Poll – Final
|2||2||Wayland Baptist (Texas)||Central||212|
|12||16||Missouri Valley (Mo.)||KCAC||60|
|15||17||Warner Pacific (Ore.)||West||53|
Dropped out: Central Christian (Kan.)
Receiving votes: Central Christian (Kan.) 13; Saint Mary (Kan.) 8
Top-ranked individuals | Individual rankings
101 – Ovieonce Ray, Wayland Baptist (Texas)
109 – Alleida Martinez, Menlo (Calif.)
116 – Gracie Figueora, Menlo (Calif.)
123 – Macy Higa, Eastern Oregon
130 – Andribeth Rivera, Campbellsville (Ky.)
136 – Solin Piearcy, Menlo Calif.)
143 – Angela Peralta, Menlo (Calif.)
155 – Iman Kazem, Menlo (Calif.)
170 – Dymond Guilford, Missouri Baptist
191 – Nkechinyere Nwankwo, Oklahoma City