The Warhawks improved to 10-7 on the season and 4-0 in Southern States Athletic Conference play. The Golden Tigers fell to 9-3 on the season and 1-1 in league play.
Despite taking two of the first three games in their doubles match, the duo of Chanel Cunningham and Maria Fernanda Vargas fell 8-2 at the No. 2 doubles position to put AUM in an early 1-0 hole.
However, Morgane Zowczak and Hagar Caro held off Vladica Djurdjevic and Stephanie Moniz at the third spot to even the match at 1-1.
Curtis and William outlasted Eline Nagels and Maria Perdomo Medina at the top position to give the Warhawks the 2-1 lead after doubles play.
AUM upped its advantage to 3-1 when Cunningham defeated Medina, the NAIA’s 24th-ranked singles player, 6-3, 6-0.
William forced match point with a 6-1, 6-0 win at the second position, before Curtis cruised past the third-ranked Dominika Jasova.
Zowczak provided the final point with a 7-5, 7-5, win at the No. 5 position over Nagels, her first match March 4. Caro took an early advantage in the first set at the No. 6 position, but rolled her ankle in early in set two and eventually fell 3-6, 6-0, 1-0 (10-3). Vargas slipped in the fourth flight, 6-4, 6-1.
AUM will return to action on Friday, April 12, when they take on Abilene Christian in Pensacola, Fla. The match is slated to begin at 11 a.m.
1. Jade Curtis/Tiffany William (AUMW) def. Eline Nagels/Maria Perdomo Medina (BRE) 8-6
2. Dominika Jasova/Zalina Nazarova (BRE) def. Chanel Cunningham/M. Fernanda Vargas (AUMW) 8-2
3. Morgane Zowczak/Hagar Caro (AUMW) def. Vladica Djurdjevic/Stephanie Moniz (BRE) 8-5
1. Jade Curtis (AUMW) def. Dominika Jasova (BRE) 6-1, 6-2
2. Tiffany William (AUMW) def. Vladica Djurdjevic (BRE) 6-1, 6-0
3. Chanel Cunningham (AUMW) def. Maria Perdomo Medina (BRE) 6-3, 6-0
4. Zalina Nazarova (BRE) def. M. Fernanda Vargas (AUMW) 6-4, 6-1
5. Morgane Zowczak (AUMW) def. Eline Nagels (BRE) 7-5, 7-5
6. Sophie van Beijnum (BRE) def. Hagar Caro (AUMW) 3-6, 6-0, 1-0 (10-3)