By Jed Flemming, Athletic Communications and Media Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Keiser (Fla.) has taken over as the new No. 1 ranked team in the 2018 NAIA Women’s Tennis Coaches’ Top 25 Poll #4, announced Tuesday by the national office.
Top 25 Highlights (dating back to 2000)
• Keiser appears on the top of the Top 25 poll for the first-time in program history
• Keiser defeated then-No. 1 Georgia Gwinnett by a score of 5-4 to give the Grizzlies their second loss of the season, the first by an NAIA school
• There are zero new team to join the Top 25 this week
• No. 3 Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) and No. 4 SCAD Savannah (Ga.) are tied for the longest active streak in the Top 25 Poll with 107-straight appearances.
• Former member Auburn Montgomery (Ala.) holds the most No. 1 rankings with 80. Georgia Gwinnett follows with 28.
• There are only three teams that have been able to hold the No. 1 ranking for an entire season: former member Auburn Montgomery (2012, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004), former member Fresno Pacific (Calif.) (2011) and Georgia Gwinnett (2017).
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences, Association of Independent Institutions and Unaffiliated Groups.
• The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for second-place and so on through the list.
• The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
• Teams that receive only one point on the ballot are not considered “receiving votes”
• The frequency of polls occurs bi-weekly. This policy was approved by the National Administrative Council (NAC) for the 2017-18 academic season. This change will allow raters the opportunity to consider a larger body of work in between rating periods.
• For the complete rating calendar, CLICK HERE.
2018 NAIA Women’s Tennis Top 25 Poll – No. 4 (March 27, 2018)
|RANK||WEEK||SCHOOL [1st Place Votes]||Record||FINAL POINTS|
|1||3||Keiser (Fla.) ||17-1||373|
|2||1||Georgia Gwinnett ||11-2||361|
|3||2||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) ||2-1||348|
|4||4||SCAD Savannah (Ga.)||9-2||336|
|6||6||William Carey (Miss.)||6-1||314|
|7||8||William Woods (Mo.)||7-3||291|
|10||10||Cardinal Stritch (Wis.)||5-5||275|
|11||11||LSU Alexandria (La.)||6-3||251|
|12||12||San Diego Christian (Calif.)||6-5||247|
|13||13||Middle Georgia State||9-4||229|
|16||14||SCAD Atlanta (Ga.)||6-4||192|
|20||19||Martin Methodist (Tenn.)||3-7||148|
|23||23||St. Thomas (Fla.)||5-6||106|
|25||25||Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)||5-4||74|
Others Receiving Votes: Georgetown (Ky.) 57; Huntington (Ind.) 48; Marian (Ind.) 28; Southwestern (Kan.) 24; Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) 21; Tennessee Wesleyan 15; Loyola (La.) 13; Cumberlands (Ky.) 13; Coastal Georgia 12; Asbury (Ky.) 9