By Jed Flemming, Athletic Communications and Media Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Keiser (Fla.) captures all 14 first-place votes in their third-consecutive No. 1 ranking in the 2018 NAIA Women’s Tennis Coaches’ Top 25 Poll #6, announced Tuesday by the national office.
Top 25 Highlights (dating back to 2000)
• Keiser defeated College of Coastal Georgia and then-No. 3 SCAD Savannah (Ga.) to win The Sun Conference Championship this week
• Cumberlands (Ky.) is the only team to join the Top 25 this week at No. 19. Cumberlands rejoins the Top 25 for the first time since Poll No. 1 of this season on Feb. 13
• No. 7 SCAD Savannah (Ga.) and No. 4 Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) are tied for the longest active streak in the Top 25 Poll with 109-straight appearances
• Former member Auburn Montgomery (Ala.) holds the most No. 1 rankings with 80. Georgia Gwinnett follows with 28
• There are only three teams that have been able to hold the No. 1 ranking for an entire season: former member Auburn Montgomery (2012, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004), former member Fresno Pacific (Calif.) (2011) and Georgia Gwinnett (2017)
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences, Association of Independent Institutions and Unaffiliated Groups.
• The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for second-place and so on through the list.
• The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
• Teams that receive only one point on the ballot are not considered “receiving votes”
• The frequency of polls occurs bi-weekly. This policy was approved by the National Administrative Council (NAC) for the 2017-18 academic season. This change will allow raters the opportunity to consider a larger body of work in between rating periods.
• For the complete rating calendar, CLICK HERE.
2018 NAIA Women’s Tennis Top 25 Poll – No. 6 (April 24)
|RANK||WEEK||SCHOOL [1st Place Votes]||Record||FINAL POINTS|
|1||1||Keiser (Fla.) ||20-2||374|
|4||5||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||12-2||334|
|5||6||William Carey (Miss.)||11-5||316|
|7||3||SCAD Savannah (Ga.)||10-5||300|
|8||7||William Woods (Mo.)||13-5||298|
|9||8||Cardinal Stritch (Wis.)||9-6||286|
|12||10||LSU Alexandria (La.)||8-6||251|
|13||11||San Diego Christian (Calif.)||11-6||244|
|14||13||Middle Georgia State||10-6||218|
|16||15||SCAD Atlanta (Ga.)||11-6||201|
Dropped from the Top 25: St. Thomas (Fla.)
Others Receiving Votes: Georgetown (Ky.) 68; St. Thomas (Fla.) 57; Olivet Nazarene (Ill.) 29; Southwestern (Kan.) 28; Missouri Baptist 19; Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) 19; Tennessee Wesleyan 8; Martin Methodist (Tenn.) 6; Huntington (Ind.) 6; Hastings (Neb.) 3; Asbury (Ky.) 3