By Alan Grosbach, Associate Director of Athletic Communications and Media
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – For the 12th-straight edition, Saint Francis (Ind.) tops the NAIA Football Coaches Top 25 Poll, the national office announced Monday. The Cougars, who claimed all 15 first-place votes and 340 total points, have been the unanimous No. 1 team in all 10 polls this season.
The 2017 NAIA Football Championship Series (FCS) 16-team field and
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 1999)
• Saint Francis now owns 15 all-time No. 1 rankings, which is the fourth-most top billings since the 1999 season.
• The Cougars ended the regular-season with a 10-0 record after defeating Taylor (Ind.), 40-20, over the weekend. The victory pushes Saint Francis’ current NAIA-best winning streak to 19-straight games.
• Due to an upset loss by Baker (Kan.), Southern Oregon joins the top five at No. 5 for the first time this season. This shift ends a streak of three-straight weeks where there were no changes in the top five teams.
• No. 24 Kansas Wesleyan and No. 25 Concordia (Neb.) are the two newcomers to the Top 25. The Coyotes return to the poll following a two-week hiatus, while the Bulldogs garner recognition for the first time since the spring edition.
• Carroll (Mont.) owns the most No. 1 rankings with 58, followed by former NAIA member Sioux Falls (S.D.) (55), No. 12 Georgetown (Ky.) (25), No. 3 Morningside (Iowa) (20), Saint Francis (15) and No. 9 Saint Xavier (Ill.) (14).
• Morningside holds the longest active streak with 135-straight Top 25 mentions. Additionally, the Mustangs have been ranked within the top 10 in 84-straight polls.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences.
• Each conference is given one rater for every four schools in the league.
• The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 25 points for each first-place vote, 24 for second-place and so on through the list.
• The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
• Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes.”
• For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
2017 NAIA Football Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – No. 9 (November 6, 2017)
|RANK||LAST TIME^||SCHOOL (1ST PLACE VOTES)||2017 RECORD||TOTAL POINTS|
|1||1||Saint Francis (Ind.) (15)||10-0||340|
|4||5||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||9-0||300|
|6||6||Grand View (Iowa)||9-1||279|
|9||10||Saint Xavier (Ill.)||8-1||241|
|T12||14||Dickinson State (N.D.)||8-1||187|
Dropped from the Top 25: Cumberland (Tenn.) (No. 22); Doane (Neb.) (No. 24)
Others Receiving Votes: Faulkner (Ala.) 12; Dakota State (S.D.) 11; Peru State (Neb.) 10; College of Idaho 4; Cumberland (Tenn.) 3.
^ Top 25 ranking from Oct. 30,