By Pete Scantlebury, NAIA Manager of Athletic Communications
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Another week, another new team atop the NAIA DII Men’s Basketball Coaches’ Top 25 Poll. Indiana Wesleyan ascended to the top spot, replacing Oklahoma Wesleyan.
Top 25 Highlights
- After dropping consecutive games in mid-December, Indiana Wesleyan has been on a tear, winning eight in a row. Those eight wins include four over teams currently ranked in the Top 25.
- Despite dropping to No. 2, Oklahoma Wesleyan picked up the most first-place votes with five. The Eagles are 21-1 on the
year,and were the last undefeated team remaining. Indiana Wesleyan had four first-place votes and Morningside (Iowa) had the remaining three.
- Spring Arbor (Mich.) moved up three spots to join the top five. The Cougars are 19-3 on the season.
- Four teams joined the Top 25: No. 21 Olivet Nazarene (Ill.), No. 23 Indiana Northwest, No. 24 Montreat (N.C.) and No. 25 St. Francis (Ill.)
- Indiana Wesleyan holds the longest active streak in the poll with 79-straight appearances. Bethel (Ind.) is next with 69, moving from No. 16 to No. 14 this week. Following those two teams is Cornerstone (Mich.), currently ranked sixth in the poll, with 58.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences and Association of Independent Institutions.
- The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for
second-placeand so on through the list.
- The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered
a low ratings) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appearson.
- Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes”
Frequencyof polls occurbi-weekly. This policy was approved by the National Administrative Council (NAC) for the 2016-17 academic season. This change will allow raters the opportunity to consider a larger body of work in between rating periods.
- For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
2018-2019 NAIA Division II Men’s Basketball Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – No. 4 (Jan. 22, 2019)
|RANK||LAST WEEK||SCHOOL [1ST-PLACE VOTES]||RECORD||POINTS|
|1||3||Indiana Wesleyan ||19-3||304|
|2||1||Oklahoma Wesleyan ||21-1||301|
|3||4||Morningside (Iowa) ||18-1||300|
|4||2||College of Idaho||20-3||283|
|5||8||Spring Arbor (Mich.)||19-3||272|
|6||5||Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio)||19-3||253|
|10||7||Briar Cliff (Iowa)||16-4||222|
|15||17||Indiana East (Ind.)||16-6||173|
|17||15||Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.)||15-6||137|
|21||NR||Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)||16-6||111|
|23||NR||Indiana Northwest (Ind.)||16-6||75|
|25||NR||St. Francis (Ill.)||15-7||57|
Dropped out: College of the Ozarks (Mo.), Indiana Southeast, Calumet (Ind.)
Others receiving votes: College of the Ozarks 48, Presentation (S.D.) 30, Brescia (Ky.) 29, Indiana Southeast 28, Calumet 24, Eastern Oregon 23, Northwest Christian (Ore.) 21, Dordt (Iowa) 17, Ave Maria (Fla.) 5, Milligan (Tenn.) 4, Mayville State (S.D.) 3
Make sure to download the Experience NAIA Championship App for updated news and information for the 2019 NAIA Division I and II Basketball Championships! Download the app HERE!