By Trevor Lininger, NAIA Athletic Communications and Media Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – At the conclusion of all women’s cross country conference championship meets, Oklahoma City has taken over the No. 1 spot in this week’s NAIA Women’s Cross Country Top 25 poll, the national office announced Sunday.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 1999):
- The Stars of Oklahoma City finished first overall in the Sooner Athletic Conference Championship on November 4, earning an automatic berth to the National Championship.
- Oklahoma City garnered 9 first place votes and 550 total points to earn the top spot.
- No. 19 Northwestern (Iowa) rejoins the Top 25 after dropping out in the last poll, and No. 25 Cornerstone (Mich.) earns its first spot in the Top 25 of 2017 this week.
- Simon Fraser (B.C.) sholds the record for the most No. 1 rankings with 41 all time.
- College of Idaho holds the record for the longest consecutively-ranked active school, appearing in 72-straight polls, followed by Carroll (Mont.) with 63.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences.
- Each conference is given one rater for every four schools in the league.
- The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 25 points for each first-place vote, 24 for second-place and so on through the list.
- The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
- Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes.”
- For the complete Top 25 Calendar, click here.
2017 NAIA Women's Cross Country Coaches' Top 25 Poll - No. 5 (Nov. 5)
|RANK||LAST WEEK||SCHOOL [1ST PLACE VOTES]||TOTAL POINTS|
|1||4||Oklahoma City ||550|
|2||1||British Columbia ||543|
|3||1||Wayland Baptist (Texas)||520|
|7||5||College of Idaho||437|
|8||8||The Master's (Calif.)||427|
|11||9||Shawnee State (Ohio)||394|
|15||14||SCAD Atlanta (Ga.)||307|
|20||25||Lewis-Clark State (Idaho)||209|
|21||20||MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.)||208|
Dropped From Top 25: Morningside (Iowa), Saint Xavier (Ill.)
Others Receiving Votes: Embry-Riddle (Ariz.) 112; Morningside (Iowa) 112; Westmont (Calif.) 93; Northwest (Wash.) 74; St. Francis (Ill.) 46; St. Thomas (Fla.) 14; St. Ambrose (Iowa) 3; Vanguard (Calif.) 3