By Trevor Lininger, NAIA Athletic Communications and Media Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – In the first regular-season poll of the 2017-18 NAIA Division II Women’s Basketball season, the Cougars of Saint Xavier move up one spot to take over the No. 1 ranking, the national office announced Tuesday. This is the program’s seventh No. 1 ranking all time.
Top 25 Highlights
- Last year’s runner-up at the NAIA Division II Women’s Basketball National Championship, Saint Xavier currently holds a 6-0 record.
- The Cougars have been led by Kara Krolicki, who is averaging 23.2 points per game so far this season.
- Defending National Champion Marian (Ind.) suffered a loss to St. Francis (Ill.), which dropped the Knights three spots to No. 4. Marian is currently 10-1 on the year.
- Four teams join the Top 25 for the first time this year: No. 16 Mayville State (N.D.), No. 23 Indiana Wesleyan, No. 24 Lawrence Tech (Mich.), No. 25 Northwest Christian (Ore.).
- Morningside (Iowa) holds the record for the most No. 1 rankings of all time with 38. Indiana Wesleyan is second with 33.
- Morningside also holds the record for longest consecutively-ranked active school with 165 straight polls. Saint Xavier (Ill.) is second on the list with 152, including its time in Division I.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences and the Association of Independent Institutions.
- The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for second-place and so on through the list.
- The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low ratings) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appears on.
- Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes”
- For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
2017-18 NAIA Division II Women's Basketball Coaches' Top 25 Poll No. 1 (Nov. 28)
|RANK||LAST WEEK||SCHOOL [1ST PLACE VOTES]||RECORD||TOTAL POINTS|
|1||2||Saint Xavier (Ill.) ||6-0||306|
|2||3||Concordia (Neb.) ||7-0||305|
|4||1||Marian (Ind.) ||10-1||280|
|4||6||College of the Ozarks (Mo.)||9-0||280|
|6||8||Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.)||7-1||261|
|7||5||St. Francis (Ill.)||5-2||242|
|16||NR||Mayville State (N.D.)||6-1||151|
|17||21||Saint Francis (Ind.)||6-2||137|
|20||23||Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)||6-3||119|
|22||11||Cardinal Stritch (Wis.)||4-3||104|
|24||NR||Lawrence Tech (Mich.)||7-1||92|
|25||NR||Northwest Christian (Ore.)||7-0||72|
Dropped From Top 25: UC Merced, Indiana Northwest, Siena Heights (Mich.), Milligan (Tenn.)
Others Receiving Votes: Valley City State (N.D.) 67; Point (Ga.) 27; Ave Maria (Fla.) 27; Taylor (Ind.) 26; Trinity Christian (Ill.) 22; Concordia (Mich.) 18; Oregon Tech 13; Antelope Valley (Calif.) 7; IU Kokomo 3