By Jed Flemming, Athletic Communications and Media Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – The Georgia Gwinnett Grizzlies captured all 14 first-place votes and their third-consecutive national championship en route to the No. 1 ranking in the postseason edition of the 2018 NAIA Women’s Tennis Coaches’ Top 25 Poll, announced Wednesday by the national office.
Top 25 Highlights (dating back to 2000)
• The Grizzlies defeated then-No. 1 Keiser (Fla.) on May 19 to earn their fourth red banner in five years.
• Georgia Gwinnett earned all 374 points and finished with the least amount of losses in the Top 25 with just two.
• No. 11 SCAD Savannah (Ga.) and No. 4 Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) are tied for the longest active streak in the Top 25 Poll with 111-straight appearances.
• Former member Auburn Montgomery (Ala.) holds the most No. 1 rankings with 80. Georgia Gwinnett follows with 29.
• There are only three teams that have been able to hold the No. 1 ranking for an entire season: former member Auburn Montgomery (2012, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004), former member Fresno Pacific (Calif.) (2011) and Georgia Gwinnett (2017).
• There are no newcomers in the Top 25 this week.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences, Association of Independent Institutions and Unaffiliated Groups.
• The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for second-place and so on through the list.
• The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
• Teams that receive only one point on the ballot are not considered “receiving votes”
• The frequency of polls occurs bi-weekly. This policy was approved by the National Administrative Council (NAC) for the 2017-18 academic season. This change will allow raters the opportunity to consider a larger body of work in between rating periods.
• For the complete rating calendar, CLICK HERE.
2018 NAIA Women’s Tennis Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – POSTSEASON (May 23, 2018)
|RANK||WEEK||SCHOOL [1st Place Votes}||Record||FINAL POINTS|
|1||2||Georgia Gwinnett ||18-2||374|
|4||4||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||14-3||338|
|6||7||William Woods (Mo.)||18-7||310|
|7||8||Cardinal Stritch (Wis.)||15-7||298|
|8||12||LSU Alexandria (La.)||12-7||297|
|9||5||William Carey (Miss.)||11-6||272|
|10||10||University of Northwestern Ohio||15-5||261|
|11||9||SCAD Savannah (Ga.)||13-5||248|
|13||14||Middle Georgia State||12-7||229|
|13||13||San Diego Christian (Calif.)||12-7||229|
|16||16||SCAD Atlanta (Ga.)||12-7||199|
Others Receiving Votes: Southwestern (Kan.) 55; Asbury (Ky.) 45; Georgetown (Ky.) 36; Hastings (Neb.) 32; Olivet Nazarene (Ill.) 22; Missouri Baptist 19; St. Thomas (Fla.) 14; Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) 14; Martin Methodist (Tenn.) 13; Tennessee Wesleyan 9; Huntington (Ind.) 3