By Colbi Howser, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Birkir Gunnarsson of Auburn Montgomery (Ala.) has been named the NAIA National Men's Tennis Player of the Week, the national office announced Wednesday. He was selected based on his performances from March 14-20 and was chosen out of a pool of conference, Association of Independent Institutions and unaffiliated group winners.
National Tennis Player of the Week
Birkir Gunnarsson, Auburn Montgomery (Ala.)
Jr., Kopavogur, Iceland
• Defeated Jose Porfirio of NCAA Division II No. 6 Lynn (Fla.) with a 6-2, 6-1 victory.
• Partnered with Vincent Dubosclard to win their doubles match against Lynn, 8-6.
• Went 2-0 on the week, helping his team to a 1-0 week and 7-4 overall.
• Hi is 7-2 in singles matches this season and 5-4 in doubles.
• This is his first player of the week honor.
Nominees: Christian Barbieri, William Woods (Mo.); Jaime Lladro, Tennessee Wesleyan; Navarro Veys, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.); Chris Kerswell, Judson (Ill.); Jason Denton, Marian (Ind.); Stefano Benedetti, Missouri Valley; Deuce Gibson, Asbury (Ky.); Nick Roby, Indiana Southeast; Ariez Heshaam, Cumberlands (Ky.); Vladyslav Ladygin, Campbellsville (Ky.); Anatoliy Lashkul, Cumberland (Tenn.); Tim Buehler, Mobile (Ala.); Adam Hornby, Dalton State (Ga.); Justin Seller, Coastal Georgia; Colby Gandy, Middle Georgia State; Quentin Staley, SCAD Savannah (Ga.); Rafael A Coutinho, Warner (Fla.); Shaq Taylor, Keiser (Fla.); Jermaine Le Grand, St. Thomas (Fla.); Jordan Harris, Southeastern (Fla.); Rik van Gerwin, Northwestern Ohio; Andy Struble, Aquinas (Mich.)
2015-16 Men's Tennis Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (March 23): Birkir Gunnarsson, Auburn Montgomery (Ala.)