NAIA Volleyball Player of the Week – No. 1
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Yang Yang of Rocky Mountain (Mont.) has been named the NAIA Volleyball National Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Yang, who is the first weekly award recipient of 2014, was selected based on her performances from Sept. 1 – 7 and was chosen out of a pool of conference player of the week selections.
National Player of the Week
Yang Yang, Rocky Mountain (Mont.)
Sr., MB, Yongon, China
• Helped Rocky Mountain to a 5-0 week that included victories over then-No. 1 Texas at Brownsville (3-2), then-No. 2 Concordia (Calif.) (3-2) and then-No. 8 Biola (Calif.) (3-1). The Battlin’ Bears' win against Texas at Brownsville ended a 41-match winning streak for the Ocelots.
• Averaged 4.65 kills, 1.05 digs and 0.30 assists per set.
• Totaled 93 kills and 25 blocks.
• Produced double-digit kills in all five matches, including 20-plus performances against Concordia (22) and Texas at Brownsville (21).
• Earns first career NAIA National Player of the Week honor.
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
Nominees: Mallory Dillon, Missouri Baptist; Kara Stamper, Bryan (Tenn.); Courtney Calicdan, Menlo (Calif.); Madisen Garlie, Oregon Tech; Vanessa Owusu, Roosevelt (Ill.); Melanie Meyer, Goshen (Ind.); Jessica Israel, Concordia (Calif.); Kaitlin Floerchinger, Northwestern (Iowa); Mercades Chevis, Dillard (La.); Hannah Bettge, Baker (Kan.); Ashley Dishon, Bethel (Kan.); Tabea Dalliard, Point Park (Pa.); Ashton Perez, Cumberland (Tenn.); Alexis Anderson, College of Saint Mary (Neb.); Alicia Olson, Viterbo (Wis.); Janna Johnson, Jamestown (N.D.); Tina Sekulic, Texas at Brownsville; Shahala Hawkins, Wayland Baptist (Texas); Sarah Stout-Dubberley, Faulkner (Ala.); Carol Reis, Southeastern (Fla.); Hannah Stone, Davenport (Mich.).
2014 NAIA Volleyball Players of the Week (complete schedule)
Week 1 (Sept. 9) – Yang Yang, Rocky Mountain (Mont.)