NAIA Women’s Soccer Players of the Week – No. 1
By Mike DeVader, Communications and Sports Information InternKANSAS CITY, Mo. – Caryn Welch of Avila (Mo.) and Lexi Gochnauer of MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.) were named NAIA Women’s Soccer National Players of the Week, the National Office announced Tuesday. Welch and Gochnauer were selected for their play during the week of Sept. 1-7 and were chosen out of the conference and independent award winners.
National Offensive Player of the Week
Caryn Welch, Avila (Mo.)
Sr., F, Topeka, Kan.
• Welch helped lead the Eagles’ offensive charge this week, scoring six goals and recording an assist as the team went 2-1. All three contests were away from home, including a 5-2 victory over preseason No. 10 Robert Morris (Ill.), where Welch turned in her third career hat trick.
• Her career high for goals in a game is four – a feat she has accomplished twice – both coming against William Woods (Mo.) in the 2012 and 2013 seasons, respectively.
• Before its game against Robert Morris, Avila had just three goals in the first four games of 2014. Welch has six of the eight Eagles goals this season.
• She takes home her first National Offensive Player of the Week honor.
National Defensive Player of the Week
Lexi Gochnauer MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.)
Fr., G, Lee’s Summit, Mo.
• Gochnauer rose to the challenge of protecting the Pioneers’ goal against two preseason top-25 teams this week – No. 18 The Master’s (Calif.) and No. 22 John Brown (Ark.) – willing her team to victory in both contests.
• She pitched a 3-0 shutout against John Brown, while only allowing one goal in 180 minutes of game action. The freshman had 11 saves in the two games combined.
• Gochnauer has made 25 saves in 450 minutes through five games so far this season.
• This is her first NAIA National Defensive Player of the Week award.
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
Offensive Nominees: Jessica Souza, Lyon (Ark.; Amber Tanner, Columbia (S.C.); Denim Belville, Soka (Calif.); Priscilla Jara, Judson (Ill.); Megan Griffith, Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio); Lexi Tucker, Westminster (Utah); Amanda Scheatzle, Hope International (Calif.); Caitlin Cooney, Midland (Neb.); Julia Schojan, Fisher (Mass.); Sarah Henderson, Bethany (Kan.); Meredith Ury, Asbury (Ky.); Shauna Gilpin, Cumberland (Tenn.); Abby Zach, College of Saint Mary (Neb.); Molly Machometa, Viterbo (Wis.); Yarimar Vazquez, St. Thomas (Texas); Chelsea Swisher, Mid-America Christian (Okla.); Caroline Ladaga da Silva, Martin Methodist (Tenn.); Katherine Ebbs, Embry-Riddle (Fla.); Kerri Hoffman, Cornerstone (Mich.).
Defensive Nominees: Amanda Chapman, Stephens (Mo.); Kat Yahnke, Columbia (S.C.); Alexis Houghton, Soka (Calif.); Brittany Houghton, College of Idaho; Eleni Miller, Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio); Rachel Hein, Rocky Mountain (Mont.); Lauren Terry, Vanguard (Calif.); Hailee Wright, Hastings (Neb.); Jordan Tapia, Ottawa (Kan.); Kendra Steepe, Cincinnati Christian (Ohio); Lindsay Kitson, Cumberland (Tenn.); MacKenzie Anderson, Central Baptist (Ark.); Bre Choffin, St. Ambrose (Iowa); Natalie Martinez, Wiley (Texas); Ashley Bechtold, Oklahoma City; Linfah Jones, William Carey (Miss.); Chelsie Mummert, USC Beaufort (S.C.); Nadine Stonjek, Northwestern Ohio.
2014 NAIA Women’s Soccer Players of the Week (complete schedule)
Week 1 (Sept. 9)
Offensive: Caryn Welch, Avila (Mo.)
Defensive: Lexi Gochnauer, MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.)