By Mike DeVader, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, MO. – Mercy Darkoah of Bellevue (Neb.) and Sofia Pacino of Hope International (Calif.) were named NAIA Women’s Soccer National Players of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Darkoah and Pacino were selected for their play during the week of Oct. 20-26 and were chosen out of the conference and Association of Independents award winners.
National Offensive Player of the Week
Mercy Darkoah, Bellevue (Neb.)
Senior, Midfielder, Sheffield, England
• Darkoah had four goals, three assists and 11 points this week, leading Bellevue (Neb.) to a perfect 2-0 record.
• She recorded a hat trick – her Midlands Collegiate Athletic Conference-leading third of the season – against Central Baptist (Ark.) in a 4-1 victory on Oct. 25 that helped the Bruins claim at least a share of the MCAC title.
• In a dominating 10-1 win over York (Neb.) on Oct. 22, Darkoah netted a goal and set up her teammates with three assist.
• This is her first Player of the Week Award.
National Defensive Player of the Week
Sofia Pacino, Hope International (Calif.)
Senior, Goalkeeper, Phelan, Calif.
• Pacino led Hope International (Calif.) to a pair of 1-0 wins thanks to stellar defense protecting the net.
• She played 180 minutes and made 11 saves in victories over then-No. 8 Concordia (Calif.) and Arizona Christian.
• Pacino now has nine career shutouts – a school record – in just 25 starts.
• This is her first Player of the Week honor.
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
Offensive Nominees: Isabel Suarez, Lyon (Ark.); Whitney Browning, Bluefield (Va.); Kalyn Goodenough, Embry-Riddle (Ariz.); Irina Lyons, Evergreen (Wash.); Samantha Yasatan, Trinity International (Ill.); Mallory Rondeau, Grace (Ind.); Rylei North, Westminster (Utah); Tiffany Dimaculangan, Westmont (Calif.); Kelsey Nealon, Hastings (Neb.); Nicki Noreen, Central Methodist (Mo.); Emily Lupton, Houston-Victoria (Texas); Arianna Anaya, Bethany (Kan.); Beth Millican, Point Park (Pa.); Jenny Campbell, Shawnee State (Ohio); Carlan Samuelson, AIB (Iowa); Stephanie Diaz, Our Lady of the Lake (Texas); Jade Ovendale, Science & Arts (Okla.); Marissa Parker, Middle Georgia State; Lila Remache, Auburn Montgomery (Ala.); Karen Pimentel, USC Beaufort (S.C.); Katlyn Krysiak, Madonna (Mich.).
Defensive Nominees: Ashley Deckard, William Woods (Mo.); McKenna Loges, Tennessee Wesleyan; Maggie Morales, UC Merced; Patty Hughes, Northwest (Wash.); Emily Rosenboom, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.); Abby Schue, Grace (Ind.); Abi Yanke, Westminster (Utah); Kalynn Sortino, Briar Cliff (Iowa); Sarah Helm, MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.); Nyla Peterkin, Ashford (Iowa); Samantha Wooster, Houston-Victoria (Texas); Olyvia Bish, Southwestern (Kan.); Amanda Mikolay, Point Park (Pa.); Brittney Moshos, Georgetown (Ky.); Lauren Mohamed, Oklahoma Wesleyan; Kelly Button, William Penn (Iowa); Natalie Martinez, Wiley (Texas); Nikki Lockwood, Texas Wesleyan; Chloe Crook, Auburn Montgomery (Ala.); Chelsie Mummert, USC Beaufort (S.C.); Blaire Schmalenberg, Madonna (Mich.).
2014-15 Women's Soccer Composite Award Winners (Defensive, Offensive)
Week 1 (September 9): Lexi Gochnauer, MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.), Caryn Welch, Avila (Mo.)
Week 2 (September 16): Nicole Franklin, Concordia (Ore.), Inma Martinez, Missouri Valley
Week 3 (September 23): Allison Keeney, Rio Grande (Ohio), Megan Johnson, Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.)
Week 4 (September 30): Jazmin Alvarez, Concordia (Calif.), Natasha Coyle, The Master's (Calif.)
Week 5 (October 7): Brittany Houghton, College of Idaho, Shauna Gilpin, Cumberland (Tenn.)
Week 6 (Oct. 14): Lindsay Armstrong, Aquinas (Mich.), Samantha Yasatan, Trinity International (Ill.)
Week 7 (Oct. 21): Mackenzie Anderson, Central Baptist (Ark.), Julia Schojan, Fisher (Mass.)
Week 8 (Oct. 28): Sofia Pacino, Hope International (Calif.) , Mercy Darkoah, Bellevue (Neb.)