NAIA Division II Women’s Basketball Player of the Week – No. 1 (Jan. 6)
By Mike DeVader, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Dannisha Pierce of St. Thomas (Fla.) has been named the NAIA National Division II Women’s Basketball Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Pierce was selected for her performance from Dec. 29 – Jan. 4. This award is the first of the 2014-15 season.
National Player of the Week
Dannisha Pierce, St. Thomas (Fla.)
5-11, Sr., F, New Haven, Conn.
• Pierce averaged 21.3 points, 9.0 rebounds and 7.3 steals per game in this week's three contests.
• She led the Bobcats to a perfect 3-0 record, and played an average of 36 minutes in each victory.
• In a 82-41 thrashing of Trinity International (Ill.), Pierce recorded a career-high nine steals, one theft shy of a triple-double (24 points and 10 rebounds).
• The senior is fourth on the NAIA list in steals this year with 58.
• The New Haven, Conn., native shot 22-of-33 (.667) from the field and 20-25 (.800) from the charity stripe.
• This is Pierce’s first national honor and the first women’s basketball national award in St. Thomas history.
The second National Women’s Basketball Player of the Week will be announced Jan. 13.
Nominees: Katie Jensen, St. Ambrose (Iowa); Haylee Burnham, College of Idaho; Hailee Farstveet, Dickinson State (N.D.); Michele Hayes, Madonna (Mich.); Kali Whiteside, Asbury (Ky.); Maryah Mazyck, Bluefield (Va.); Nicki Monahan, Indiana Northwest; Katrina Blackmon, Indiana Wesleyan; Jordan Hobbs, Southwestern (Kan.); Jamie Van Kirk, Hastings (Neb.); Sarah Vozel, Ashford (Iowa); Katie Gonnering, St. Francis (Ill.); Cory Minjarez, York (Neb.); Tina Fantroy, La Sierra (Calif.).
2014-15 Women's Basketball Division II Composite Award Winners (Schedule)
Week 1 (Jan. 6): Dannisha Pierce, St. Thomas (Fla.)