NAIA Division I Menís Basketball Player of the Week Ė No. 2 (Jan. 13)
By Chad Waller, Director of Communications and Sports Information
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Ta’Quan McDew of Wayland Baptist (Texas) has been named the NAIA National Division I Men’s Basketball Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. This honor, which captures statistics from Jan. 5 – 11, is the second of the 2014-15 season.
National Player of the Week
Ta’Quan McDew, Wayland Baptist (Texas)
6-4, Sr., G, Wabasso, Fla.
• In two double-digit wins last week, McDew averaged 24.5 points, 6.5 rebounds, 2.5 assists and shot 60.7 percent (17-of-28) from the field.
• In the 105-68 victory over No. 12 Texas Wesleyan on Jan. 8, which handed the Rams their first loss of the season, McDew netted 24 points and added eight rebounds and three assists.
• Finished with a career-high 25 points, hitting five 3-pointers, in the 95-72 win over No. 25 SAGU (Texas) on Jan. 10.
• With his team trailing 38-26 against SAGU, McDew hit two 3-pointers to spark a game-changing 37-9 run.
• The 20-point games were the first of the season for McDew.
• Wayland Baptist is off to its best start in school history with a 14-1 record.
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
National Nominees: Zach Rockers, Columbia (Mo.); Phillip Miller, Wiley (Texas); Shondel Stewart, Talladega (Ala.); Korry Tillery, Evangel (Mo.); Kenny Manigault, Pikeville (Ky.); Caleb Hardy, Bethel (Tenn.); Matt Green, Hope International (Calif.).
2014-15 Division I Men's Basketball Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (Jan. 6): Korry Tillery, Evangel (Mo.)
Week 2 (Jan. 13): Ta'Quan McDew, Wayland Baptist (Texas)