By Mike DeVader, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Akyah Taylor of Saint Francis (Ind.) has been named the NAIA National Division II Women’s Basketball Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Taylor was selected out of a group of conference winners for her performances from Jan. 12 – Jan. 18. This award is the second of the 2014-15 season.
National Player of the Week
Akyah Taylor, Saint Francis (Ind.)
5-11, Jr., F, Elkhart, Ind.
• Taylor paced the seventh-ranked Cougars to a 2-0 mark this week, as Saint Francis pulled away from then-No. 10 Marian (Ind.), 80-68, in the NAIA Division II Women’s Basketball Game of the Week on Jan. 17.
• The Elkhart, Ind., native had 24 points and 14 boards against the Knights – including 15 points and 10 rebounds in the second half.
• She leads the Crossroads League (CL) with 10 double-doubles on the season, and in the Marian contest, posted her 31st-straight game scoring in double figures.
• The win was the Cougars’ 37th-consecutive at home.
• The junior collected over 20 points and 12 boards on average this week, and has scored 23.8 points per game in CL action.
• This is Taylor’s first national award.
The third National Women’s Basketball Player of the Week will be announced Jan. 20.
Nominees: Heather Wheat, Indiana Southeast; Allison Jones, Milligan (Tenn.); Ashley Romig, Ottawa (Kan.); Kara Krolicki, Saint Xavier (Ill.); Jenna Engh, Viterbo (Wis.); Dannisha Pierce, St. Thomas (Fla.); Quinn Rear, Ashford (Iowa); Sharee Galbraith, Dakota State (S.D.); Michele Hayes, Madonna (Mich.); Sadee Jones, Evergreen (Wash.); Hannah Dostal, Doane (Neb.); Tiffany Anzalone, College of Saint Mary (Neb.); Amber Washington, Pacific Union (Calif.).
2014-15 Women's Basketball Division II Composite Award Winners (Schedule)
Week 1 (Jan. 6): Dannisha Pierce, St. Thomas (Fla.)
Week 2 (Jan. 13): Yolanda De La Torre, Robert Morris (Ill.)
Week 3 (Jan. 21): Akyah Taylor, Saint Francis (Ind.)