By Chad Waller, Director of Communications and Sports Information
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Kelsey Howard of Tougaloo (Miss.) has been named the NAIA National Division I Men’s Basketball Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. This honor, which captures statistics from Jan. 19 – 25, is the fourth of the 2014-15 season.
National Player of the Week
Kelsey Howard, Tougaloo (Miss.)
64, Sr., G, Vicksburg, Miss.
• Part of a Tougaloo team to record an 87-80 win against Voorhees (S.C.) on Jan. 19 and an 82-64 victory over Dillard (La.) on Jan. 24. The Bulldogs now stand second in the Gulf Coast Athletic Conference standings with a 5-1 mark.
• For the week, Howard averaged 33.0 points, 10.5 rebounds while shooting 69.7 percent (23-of-33) from the floor. He also went 9-of-15 (.600) from 3-point range and 78.6 percent (11-of-14) from the foul line.
• Improved scoring career-highs in consecutive games, first with 31 points against Voorhees and then with 35 against Dillard.
• Posted his 2nd and 3rd double-doubles on the season with 11 rebounds against Voorhees, and 10 against Dillard.
• Has now reached double-figures in scoring in 10 of 12 appearances.
• Ranks No. 3 in the NAIA in scoring (23.4).
• Stands fourth in the NAIA in 3-point field goals made per game (3.4).
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
National Nominees: Donta Pittman, William Carey (Miss.); Corday Sims, Peru State (Neb.); Zach Allmon, Vanguard (Calif.); Gozie Uzendu, St. Louis Pharmacy (Mo.); Darren Lockett, Great Falls (Mont.); Darius Revels, Southwest (N.M.); K.K. Simmons, Pikeville (Ky.); Semar Farris, Mid-America Christian (Okla.).
2014-15 Division I Men's Basketball Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (Jan. 6): Korry Tillery, Evangel (Mo.)
Week 2 (Jan. 13): Ta'Quan McDew, Wayland Baptist (Texas)
Week 3 (Jan. 20): Damontre Harris, Campbellsville (Ky.)
Week 4 (Jan. 27): Kelsey Howard, Tougaloo (Miss.)