KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Zach Anderson of Bethany (Kan.) has been named the NAIA National Wrestler of the Week, the national office announced Wednesday. He was chosen based on his performances from Jan. 19 – 25. This is the fourth national weekly award of the 2015 season.
National Wrestler of the Week
Zach Anderson, Bethany (Kan.)
197-pound, Sr., Clay Center, Kan.
• Posted three wins over the weekend en route to the 197-pound title at the Kansas Cup – an annual tournament that includes all the wrestling programs in the state of Kansas.
• Defeated top-ranked and defending national runner-up Stephen Loosbrock of Benedictine (Kan.), 6-4, in the event’s semifinal round.
• Other two victories at the tournament were pins – Bobby Bowman of NCAA Division II Newman (Kan.) (0:55) and Kasey Crump of Ottawa (Kan.) (7:40).
• Entered the event ranked No. 6 in the NAIA at 197 pounds.
• Earns the first weekly award of his career.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
National Nominees: Ethan Hinebauch, Montana State-Northern; Tyler McMichael , Midland (Neb.); Kodie Cole, Concordia (Neb.); Gabi Musallam, Missouri Valley; Cartland Allen, Graceland (Iowa); Connor Middleton, Baker (Kan.); Tristan Macri, Cumberlands (Ky.); Oliver Brukardt, Life (Ga.); Terrell Moore, Campbellsville (Ky.); Felix Casa del Valle, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Hudson Buck, Dickinson State (N.D.).
2015 Wrestling Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (Jan. 7): Joshua Crager, Warner Pacific (Ore.)
Week 2 (Jan. 14): Michael Pixley, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)
Week 3 (Jan. 21): Toby Cheff, Montana State-Northern
Week 4 (Jan. 27): Zach Anderson, Bethany (Kan.)