By Chad Waller, Director of Communications & Sports Information
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Jonny Marlin of No. 1-ranked Indiana Wesleyan is named the NAIA National Division II Men’s Basketball Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. This honor, which captures statistics from Jan. 26 – Feb. 1, is the fifth of the 2014-15 season. Marlin was chosen out of a group of conference award winners.
National Player of the Week
Jonny Marlin, Indiana Wesleyan
5-11, Jr., G, Greenwood, Ind.
• Marlin led the Wildcats to two wins last week over No. 18 Grace (Ind.) on Jan. 27 and No. 13 Saint Francis (Ind.) on Jan. 31.
• For the week, he averaged 15. 5 points, 5.0 assists and 2.0 rebounds. He also shot 48 percent (11-of-23) from the floor, including 4-of-8 (.500) from 3-point range.
• Marlin scored the game-winning basket with 1.3 seconds left as Indiana Wesleyan overcame a 17-point second half deficit to beat Saint Francis by a 76-75 score. He finished with 16 points and seven assists.
• He now stands with 12 games this year when he recorded at least seven assists.
• In the 62-55 triumph over Grace, Marlin posted 15 points and three assists.
• Is currently riding a 10-game streak of double-digit scoring.
• Ranks No. 2 in NAIA in assists per game (7.5), No. 6 in assist/turnover ratio (+3.6) and No. 24 in free throw percentage (.833).
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
National Nominees: Jake Simpson, Indiana Southeast; Aaron Larson, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.); Jordan Nelson, Waldorf (Iowa); Adam Hasty, Ottawa (Kan.); Jeremy Comer, Presentation (S.D.); Kyle Steigenga, Cornerstone (Mich.); Steve O'Neill, Morningside (Iowa); Earl Jones, Warner Pacific (Ore.); Shane Bosek, William Penn (Iowa); J'quayveon Williams, Truett-McConnell (Ga.); Brian Pace, Webber International (Fla.); Roman Delgado, Cal Maritime.
2014-15 Division II Men's Basketball Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (Jan. 6): Chandler Folkerts, Concordia (Neb.)
Week 2 (Jan. 13): Grant Greenberg, Saint Mary (Kan.)
Week 3 (Jan. 20): Matt Schauss, Bethel (Ind.)
Week 4 (Jan. 27): Clay Yeo, Bethel (Ind.)
Week 5 (Feb. 3): Jonny Marlin, Indiana Wesleyan