By Mike DeVader, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Kelly Johnson of Point Park (Pa.) has been named the NAIA National Division II Women’s Basketball Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Johnson was selected out of a group of conference winners for her performances from Feb. 2 – 8. This award is the sixth of the 2014-15 season.
National Player of the Week
Kelly Johnson, Point Park (Pa.)
5-8, So., G, Pittsburgh, Pa.
• In two Pioneer road victories this week, Johnson averaged 32.0 points, 8.0 assists, 6.5 steals and 5.5 rebounds per game.
• The sophomore point guard was 26-of-41 (63.4 percent) from the field, including 5-for-9 (55.6 percent) from behind the arc.
• Nearly pulled off a quadruple double in a 103-79 rout of IU East (Ind.) on Feb. 8 with 30 points, 10 assists, 8 rebounds, 7 steals.
• Johnson is fourth in Division II with 90 steals on the year (3.8 per game).
• Earns her first Player of the Week honor.
The seventh National Women’s Basketball Player of the Week will be revealed Feb. 17.
Nominees: Miranda Palmer, Huntington (Ind.); Dannisha Pierce, St. Thomas (Fla.); Lydia Nash, Union (Ky.); Katie Jensen, St. Ambrose (Iowa); Tonisha Dean, Tabor (Kan.); Tina Fantroy, La Sierra (Calif.); Carly Meister, Southern Oregon; Jalissa Williams, Michigan-Dearborn; Katie Gonnering, St. Francis (Ill.); Sadiqah Jihad, Valley City State (N.D.); Karen Ettleman, Northwestern (Iowa); Deaundra Young, College of Saint Mary (Neb.).
2014-15 Women's Basketball Division II Composite Award Winners (Schedule)
Week 1 (Jan. 6): Dannisha Pierce, St. Thomas (Fla.)
Week 2 (Jan. 13): Yolanda De La Torre, Robert Morris (Ill.)
Week 3 (Jan. 21): Akyah Taylor, Saint Francis (Ind.)
Week 4 (Jan. 27): Tia King, IU East (Ind.)
Week 5 (Feb. 3): Patrice McBee, Purdue Calumet (Ind.)
Week 6 (Feb. 10): Kelly Johnson, Point Park (Pa.)