KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Deaundra Young of College of Saint Mary (Neb.) has been named the NAIA National Division II Women’s Basketball Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Young was selected out of a group of conference winners for her performances from Feb. 9 – 15. This award is the seventh of the 2014-15 season.
National Player of the Week
Deaundra Young, College of Saint Mary (Neb.)
6-2, Jr., C, Mims, Fla.
• Averaged 21.3 points, 10.3 rebounds, 4.7 blocks and 4.0 assists in a 3-0 week for the Flames that included victories against Waldorf (Iowa), then-No. 18 College of the Ozarks (Mo.) and Central Baptist (Ark.).
• Registered her 11th double-double of the season on Feb. 13 against College of the Ozarks, finishing the game with 27 points and 11 boards. Also had four blocked shots and four assists in the 73-62 win.
• Also posted a double-double – 18 points and 13 rebounds – earlier in the week at Waldorf, while also blocking a near season-high seven shots.
• Joined the College of Saint Mary’s 1,000-point club on Feb. 14 after scoring 19 points against Central Baptist.
• Ranks among the top 10 nationally in five statistical categories – blocks per game (5th; 3.3), total blocks (5th; 85), defensive rebounds per game (6th; 7.7) and field goal percentage (9th; 55.6 percent).
• Earns first career NAIA Player of the Week award.
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
The final National Women’s Basketball Player of the Week for the 2014-15 season will be revealed Feb. 24.
Nominees: Andi Gayner, Mayville State (N.D.); Morgan Stuut, Saint Xavier (Ill.); Brooke Marcum, Rio Grande (Ohio); Erika Woodfin, Reinhardt (Ga.); Jenna Engh, Viterbo (Wis.); Kayla Mollere, Friends (Kan.); Bailey Morris, Concordia (Neb.); Lindsey Hernden, Madonna (Mich.); Elisha Hensey, College of Idaho; Alyssa Ramos, Southeastern (Fla.); Lakan Hasser-Smith, Marian (Ind.); Laurel Donnenwirth, Menlo (Calif.).
2014-15 Women's Basketball Division II Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (Jan. 6): Dannisha Pierce, St. Thomas (Fla.)
Week 2 (Jan. 13): Yolanda De La Torre, Robert Morris (Ill.)
Week 3 (Jan. 21): Akyah Taylor, Saint Francis (Ind.)
Week 4 (Jan. 27): Tia King, IU East (Ind.)
Week 5 (Feb. 3): Patrice McBee, Purdue Calumet (Ind.)
Week 6 (Feb. 10): Kelly Johnson, Point Park (Pa.)
Week 7 (Feb. 17): Deaundra Young, College of Saint Mary (Neb.)