KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Ashley Watson of Jarvis Christian (Texas) has been named the NAIA National Division I Women’s Basketball Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. This honor, which encompasses performances from Feb. 9 – 15, is the seventh of the 2014-15 season. Watson was chosen out of a pool of conference player of the week selections.
National Player of the Week
Ashley Watson, Jarvis Christian (Texas)
5-7, Sr., G, Fort Worth, Texas
• Averaged 34 points, nine rebounds, four steals and 3.5 assists per game in a 1-1 week for the Bulldogs.
• Scored a season-high 41 points – the fourth-best individual scoring effort in Division I this season – on 17-of-22 (77.3 percent) shooting and pulled down 11 rebounds for her third double-double of the season against Red River Athletic Conference (RRAC) rival Paul Quinn (Texas) on Feb. 14.
• One day prior, the senior rained in 27 points against Texas College, giving her six 20-plus point performances on the year. Watson also recorded seven rebounds, three assists and two steals on the loss.
• Shot 80.6 percent (29-of-36) from the field, 57.1 percent (4-for-7) from 3-point range and 85.7 percent (6-of-7) from the free throw line between the two games.
• Collects the first NAIA Player of the Week award of her career.
• First winner from the RRAC since Langston’s Lynette Holmes took home the honor on Feb. 18, 2014.
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
National Nominees: Karlee Stuart, Peru State (Neb.); Mckenzie Cooper, Oklahoma Baptist; Tanis Fuller, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho); Ashala Watson, Lyon (Ark.); Amber Alexander, Vanguard (Calif.); Khalilah Quigley, Pikeville (Ky.); Brandy Broome, Southern-New Orleans (La.); Shaketa Hodges, Middle Georgia State.
2014-15 Division I Women’s Basketball Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (Jan. 6): Ajha Edwards, Montana State-Northern
Week 2 (Jan. 13): Ajha Edwards, Montana State-Northern
Week 3 (Jan. 20): Chayla Rutledge, Benedictine (Kan.)
Week 4 (Jan. 27): Janis Peterson, Concordia (Calif.)
Week 5 (Feb. 3): Lindsey Abramson, Great Falls (Mont.)
Week 6 (Feb. 10): Hayley Newby, Freed-Hardeman (Tenn.)
Week 7 (Feb. 17): Ashley Watson, Jarvis Christian (Texas)