By: Mike DeVader, Communications & Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Alexis Browner of Wayland Baptist (Texas) has been named NAIA National Women's Indoor Track Athlete of the Week and Kali Robb of Concordia (Neb.) has been selected as the NAIA National Women's Indoor Field Athlete of the Week, the national office announced Wednesday. Browner and Robb were selected based on their performances from Feb. 9 – 15 and out of a pool of conference winners. This is the fifth award of the 2015 indoor track & field season.
Women's Indoor Track Athlete of the Week
Alexis Browner, Wayland Baptist (Texas)
Jr., Sacramento, Calif.
• In the midst of predominantly NCAA Division I schools, Browner ran the NAIA's fastest time this season in the 200-meter at an officially converted 24.29 at the University of New Mexico Don Kirby Elite on Feb. 14.
• She took on 86 other competitors on her way to setting this year’s NAIA mark – finishing in 10th-place behind runners from the likes of USC and Oregon.
• The Sacramento, Calif., native already helped set the NAIA’s fastest 4x400-meter relay time earlier this season, and makes claim to the second-fastest time in the 60-meter.
• This is Browner’s inaugural national honor.
Women's Indoor Field Athlete of the Week
Kali Robb, Concordia (Neb.)
So., Sidney, Neb.
• Robb competed in two events on Feb. 12 in the Concordia Indoor Invitational – shot put and weight throw – taking home victories in both.
• The sophomore set personal bests and automatic national qualifying tosses in both competitions.
• The Sidney, Neb., native’s 14.45 meter (47-5) shot put beat a field of 19, while Robb’s weight throw of 18.41 meters (60-4 ¾) bested 30 other athletes.
• Today’s national recognition is the first of Robb’s career.
For the complete Athlete of the Week calendar, click here.
The sixth and final Women's Indoor Track & Field Athletes of the Week will be revealed Feb. 25.
Track Nominees: Kristen Garwood, Hannibal-LaGrange (Mo.); Julia Blumkaitis, Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.); Halie Wilsey, Park (Mo.); Amelia Maguin, Southern Oregon; Amy Pfaff, College of Idaho; Cassidy Brown, Northwest (Wash.); Megan Sullivan, Eastern Oregon; Brooke Johnson, St. Francis (Ill.); Sarah McBeath, Indiana Wesleyan; Mya Brown, Grace (Ind.); Victoria Harper, Spring Arbor (Mich.); Annie Winkler, Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio); Elaine Schmeltz, Taylor (Ind.); Katrina Nolan, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho); Rachael Hart , Rocky Mountain (Mont.); Kim Wood, Concordia (Neb.); Jessa Sughroue, Doane (Neb.); Neeia Cooperwood, Morningside (Iowa); Justine Van Zee, Dordt (Iowa); Sara Ruckman, Graceland (Iowa); Cassidy Brown, Northern New Mexico; Katie Guarnaccia, Point Park (Pa.); Danielle Hoop, Cumberlands (Ky.); JaNaiqua Horn, Campbellsville (Ky.); Molly Jo Smith, St. Ambrose (Iowa); Elizabeth Dadzie, Oklahoma Baptist; Cecilia David, Texas Wesleyan; Ellie Staker, Embry-Riddle (Fla.); Mariah Johnson, Northwood (Fla.); Jewel Thomas, Indiana Tech; Julie Oosterhouse, Cornerstone (Mich.); Brianna Pekel, Siena Heights (Mich.); Stephanie Johnston, Concordia (Mich.); Alli Veneklase, Davenport (Mich.).
Field Nominees: Diamond Mobsy, Park (Mo.); Harley McBride, Eastern Oregon; McKenzie Warren, Concordia (Ore.); Charnie Dondrea, Northwest (Wash.); Isi Edeko, St. Francis (Ill.); Allison Trevithick, Indiana Wesleyan; Samantha Giddings, Great Falls (Mont.); Karissa Blank, Doane (Neb.); Philicia Willingham, Graceland (Iowa); Jryi Davis, Point Park (Pa.); Derien Leighty, Point Park (Pa.); Janice Brown, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Val Veiock, Grand View (Iowa); Tiona Owens, Wayland Baptist (Texas); Kenney Fowler, Oklahoma Baptist; Halle Green-Anderson, Embry-Riddle (Fla.); Kasey Renshaw, Siena Heights (Mich.); Ashley Watley, Indiana Tech; Madison Lutzke, Concordia (Mich.); Tessa Gryzen, Davenport (Mich.).
2015 Women's Indoor Track & Field Athletes of the Week (Field; Track)
Week 1 (Jan. 21): Carly Schmidt, Indiana Tech; Hannah Fields, Oklahoma Baptist
Week 2 (Jan. 28): Kayla Wilson, Southwestern (Kan.); Shayla France, Indiana Tech
Week 3 (Feb. 4): Brittany Murray, Cornerstone (Mich.); Jessa Sughroue, Doane (Neb.)
Week 4 (Feb. 11): Amy Blucker, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.); Hannah Fields, Oklahoma Baptist
Week 5 (Feb. 18): Kali Robb, Concordia (Neb.); Alexis Browner, Wayland Baptist (Texas)