2015 NAIA Baseball Players of the Week – No. 1 (March 24)
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Keivan Berges of Northwood (Fla.) has been named the NAIA National Baseball Player of the Week and Adam Panayotovich of St. Francis (Ill.) has been named the NAIA National Baseball Pitcher of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Berges and Panayotovich were selected based on their performances from the beginning of the season until March 22, and were chosen out of a pool of conference, independent and unaffiliated group winners.
Baseball Player of the Week
Keivan Berges, Northwood (Fla.)
6-0, So., OF, Wellington, Fla.
• Berges led the way at the plate and on the mound this week for Northwood, with his biggest game coming against Warner (Fla.) on March 21 with two homers and four runs batted in. The Seahawks won, 7-6
• He recorded multi-hit games in four of the five contests, and drove in an RBI in each of those four competitions.
• The Wellington, Fla., native finished the week with three home runs, three doubles and 11 RBIs. The sophomore showed patience at the plate as well, by recording four walks.
• Lastly, Berges threw a complete game against Warner on the mound (7 innings), striking out six and giving up one unearned run in an 11-1 win.
• Berges reels in his first national award.
Baseball Pitcher of the Week
Adam Panayotovich of St. Francis (Ill.)
5-11, Sr., P, Palos Park, Ill.
• Panayotovich threw back-to-back extra-inning shutouts in his first two conference starts of the season (both 1-0 victories).
• In his first outing of the week, the senior came within one out of a no-hitter in the Saints' 1-0 win over Cardinal Stritch (Wis.). In eight innings of the scheduled seven-inning affair, Panayotovich struck out 14 batters, while allowing just two walks.
• Panayotovich threw seven and two-thirds frames of no-hit ball until the Wolves managed an infield hit with two outs in the bottom of the eighth.
• The right-hander then went the distance as St. Francis defeated Trinity Christian (Ill.), 1-0, in 12 innings. He collected nine strikeouts while issuing only one walk.
For more information on NAIA baseball, click here.
For a complete listing of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
The second NAIA National Baseball Players of the Week will be announced March 31.
Player Nominees: Dylan Skinner, Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.); Chap Lindstrom, Reinhardt (Ga.); Domonic Morris, Oregon Tech; Jacob Lanning, Holy Cross (Ind.); Aaron Smith, Marian (Ind.); William Barring, Westmont (Calif.); Zach Cortese, Northwestern (Iowa); Jesse Baker, Edward Waters (Fla.); Seth Walston, Peru State (Neb.); Cody Parks, Ottawa (Kan.); Demetrius Moorer, Point Park (Pa.); Carlos Torres, Campbellsville (Ky.); Ivan Perez, York (Neb.); Steven Leverett, AIB (Iowa); Joe Demers, Valley City State (N.D.); James Jean, LSU Shreveport (La.); Reggie Wilson, Oklahoma City; Tyler Richardson, William Carey (Miss.); Taylor Grzelakowski, Madonna (Mich.).
Pitcher Nominees: Justin Braswell, Lyon (Ark.); Kenny Knudsen, Bryan (Tenn.); Kyle Garvin, College of Idaho; Derek Higgins, Marian (Ind.); Tyler Mark, Concordia (Calif.); Nicholas Schuman, Hastings (Neb.); Alan Neader, Edward Waters (Fla.); Adam Quintana, Peru State (Neb.); Conor Lillis-white, British Columbia; Jim Miller, Ashford (Iowa); Nathan Hancock, Kansas Wesleyan; Nate Sphon, Point Park (Pa.); John Werner, St. Catharine (Ky.); John Mead, York (Neb.); Trae Johnson, AIB (Iowa); Chip Rosales, Valley City State (N.D.); Adam Hines, LSU Alexandria; Dustin Cook, Oklahoma City; Tay Jerger, Middle Georgia State; Zac Grotz, Embry-Riddle (Fla.); Drew Lepiarz, Lourdes (Ohio).
2014-15 Baseball Composite Award Winners (Pitcher; Player) (Complete Schedule)
Week 1 (March 24): Adam Panayotovich, St. Francis (Ill.); Keivan Berges, Northwood (Fla.)