By Mike DeVader, NAIA Communications & Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Alex Springer of Indiana Wesleyan has been named the NAIA National Softball Player of the Week and Hannah Moak of William Carey (Miss.) has been named the NAIA National Softball Pitcher of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Springer and Moak were selected based on their performances from the beginning of the season until March 22, and were chosen out of a pool of conference, independent and unaffiliated group winners.
Softball Player of the Week
Alex Springer, Indiana Wesleyan
5-9, Fr., 1B, Fort Wayne, Ind.
• Springer hit .619 (13-for-21) this week with four home runs and three doubles, helping her team to an undefeated 6-0 record to start Crossroads League play.
• She averaged 2.2 hits per game, 2.0 RBIs, and 1.2 runs scored each time out.
• The freshman owned a .636 on base percentage and a 1.333 slugging percentage in those six contests (four away, two home).
• The Fort Wayne, Ind., native scored seven times and knocked in 12 runs.
• Springer earns her first national award.
Softball Pitcher of the Week
Hannah Moak, William Carey (Miss.)
5-9, Fr., P, Ruth, Miss.
• Moak posted a 3-0 record during a six-game Southern States Athletic Conference home stand this week.
• She took a no-hitter into the seventh inning before settling with a one-hit shutout in a 2-0 win against Mobile (Ala.) on March 17.
• In her last two games against Bethel (Tenn.) and Martin Methodist (Tenn.), Moak allowed just nine hits and struck out 13 to pick up wins.
• The Ruth, Miss., native currently ranks in the top 30 in the NAIA in opponent batting average (.158;11th ) hits allowed per nine innings (3.97; 12th), earned run average (1.42; 23rd), strikeouts (64; 28th), and wins (8-;29th).
• This is her inaugural national weekly recognition.
For more information on NAIA softball, click here.
For a complete listing of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
The second NAIA National Softball Players of the Week will be announced March 31.
Player Nominees: Shelby Bendure, Park (Mo.); Becca Zimmerman, Bryan (Tenn.); Kaila Romero, Embry-Riddle (Ariz.); Kate Santos, Concordia (Ore.); Skye Riddle, Cardinal Stritch (Wis.); Shelby Kuryllo, Vanguard (Calif.); Heather Ramirez, Doane (Neb.); Kim Myers, Culver-Stockton (Mo.); Araselly Vargas, Tabor (Kan.); Karen Mao, Point Park (Pa.); Bethany Davis, Cumberlands (Ky.); Ashley Gigax, Bellevue (Neb.); Jessica Grochala, Grand View (Iowa); Alex Vargas, Dickinson State (N.D.); Danielle Acevedo, Southwest (N.M.); Jocelin Diaz, Oklahoma City; Hannah Cook-Kelley, William Carey (Miss.); Kaleigh Floyd, Southeastern (Fla.); Hannah Foltz, Indiana Tech.
Pitcher Nominees: Allie Reynolds, Park (Mo.); Harlee Grogan, Truett-McConnell (Ga.); Paris Hallums, Simpson (Calif.); Jessi Duncan, Oregon Tech; Nicole Nonnemacher, Saint Xavier (Ill.); Janessa Guevara, Indiana Wesleyan; Grayson Harvey, Concordia (Calif.); Kayla Tindall, Northwestern (Iowa); Haley Kinnison, Central Methodist (Mo.); Nicole Schmidt, Ashford (Iowa); Ashley Schmidt, Saint Mary (Kan.); Jessica Leanhart, Indiana Southeast; Kayla Williams, Georgetown (Ky.); Taylor Mohler, Bellevue (Neb.); Claudia Farrell, Grand View (Iowa); Regan Lawrence, Dickinson State (N.D.); Brianna Johnson, Southwest (N.M.); Maria Gomez, Oklahoma City; Raquelli Bianco, Embry-Riddle (Fla.); Emily Maves, Davenport (Mich.).
2014-15 Softball Composite Award Winners (Pitcher, Player) (Complete Schedule)
Week 1 (March 24): Hannah Moak, William Carey (Miss.); Alex Springer, Indiana Wesleyan