By Mike DeVader, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Caroline Vernet of Xavier (La.) has been named the NAIA National Women's Tennis Player of the Week, the national office announced Wednesday. She was selected based on her performances from March 30 – April 5 and was chosen out of a pool of conference, Association of Independent Institutions and unaffiliated group winners.
National Tennis Player of the Week
Caroline Vernet, Xavier (La.)
Fr., Lyon, France
• Vernet led her seventh-ranked squad to a perfect week, going 2-0 in singles and 2-0 in doubles competition.
• She helped Xavier go 4-0 in its California road trip against No. 15 Vanguard (Calif.) and No. 19 Lewis-Clark State (Idaho). Prior to this season, the Gold Nuggets were 1-12 in duals played in California.
• In singles action, the freshman was a force to be reckoned with, winning 6-1, 6-0 against Vanguard and 6-0, 6-1 versus Lewis-Clark State.
• The Lyon, France, native notched doubles wins with totals of 8-3 (Vanguard) and 8-6 (Lewis-Clark State).
• Vernet is the first Xavier women’s tennis national award winner since Olivia West (April 3, 2013).
For the complete 2015 Tennis Player of the Week schedule, click here.
Nominees: Abigail Allen, Milligan (Tenn.); Serephine Buchmann, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.); Lori Haas, Purdue Calumet (Ind.); Katie Wilson, Indiana Wesleyan; Amy Fritz, Evangel (Mo.); Anna Mankoski, Southwestern (Kan.); Allie Hipp, Bethel (Kan.); Lexis Hibbs, Ottawa (Kan.); Allie Hipp, Bethel (Kan.); Brittany Gourlay, McPherson (Kan.); Alicia Rodriguez, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Tarsha de Souza, Cumberland (Tenn.); Paula Diaz, Auburn Montgomery (Ala.); Rachel Jefcoat, Belhaven (Miss.); Lucie Lovinfosse, Dalton State (Ga.); Karina Rovira, SCAD Savannah (Ga.); Anna Gotz, Embry-Riddle (Fla.); Emily Acierno, Southeastern (Fla.); Valeria Popko, Northwestern Ohio.
2014-15 Women's Tennis Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (March 25): Camille Gbaguidi, SCAD Savannah (Ga.)
Week 2 (April 1): Adela Gil, Missouri Valley
Week 3 (April 8): Caroline Vernet, Xavier (La.)