By Mike DeVader, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Cassie Jones of Auburn Montgomery (Ala.) has been named the NAIA National Softball Pitcher of the Week and Erica Miller of Marian (Ind.) has been named the NAIA National Softball Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Jones and Miller were selected based on their performances from April 6 – 12, and were chosen out of a pool of conference, independent and unaffiliated group winners.
Softball Pitcher of the Week
Cassie Jones, Auburn Montgomery (Ala.)
5-10, Sr., P, Valley Grande, Ala.
• Jones had a stellar week, appearing in five games for the Warhawks, posting a 4-0 record with a 0.00 ERA and a save.
• In 25 innings, she gave up just eight hits and struck out 57 batters. Against Brenau (Ga.) on April 10, the senior had 17 K’s in a 3-0 win, eclipsing the school’s career strikeout record.
• She eclipsed four-time All-American Brandi Richards’ 880 career punch outs, and also holds the season record (276 in 2013) and game record (19 against Spring Hill on May 24, 2013) for strikeouts, as well as the Auburn Montgomery career record for victories with 77.
• Jones is now 21-3 on the season with a 1.08 ERA (third in the NAIA). She leads in opponent batting average (.113) and is second in strikeouts per game (12.6).
Softball Player of the Week
Erica Miller, Marian (Ind.)
5-6, So., IF, Fort Wayne, Ind.
• Miller continued to lead Marian at the plate in a 9-1 week, finishing 19-for-33 (.576) with three home runs, a triple, five doubles, 18 runs scored and 12 RBIs.
• She also had a slugging percentage of 1.061, while registering a hit in each of the 10 games. The sophomore is currently riding an 11-game hitting streak.
• In the Knights' 24-10 five-inning road win over Bethel (Ind.). Miller went 4-for-4 with three home runs (all in the first two innings), seven RBIs and four runs scored.
• The Fort Wayne, Ind., native is the Crossroads League's leading hitter and is the nation's second-ranked batter with a .529 batting average.
For more information on NAIA softball, click here.
For a complete listing of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
The fifth NAIA National Softball Players of the Week will be announced April 21.
Player Nominees: Meghan Mooney, Benedictine-Springfield (Ill.); Kacie Skeen, Milligan (Tenn.); Courtney Thomas, Simpson (Calif.); Tasha Silvius, Oregon Tech ; Kristina Shahan, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.) ; Brittany Lamar, William Jessup (Calif.); Rachel Kubik, Nebraska Wesleyan; Hayley Gately, MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.); Briana Knowles, Houston-Victoria (Texas); Khadijah Bland, Friends (Kan.); Kim Rollins, Rio Grande (Ohio); Kassydi Montgomery, Cumberland (Tenn.); Ashley Gigax, Bellevue (Neb.); Kayla Tatge, St. Ambrose (Iowa); Kelli Moore, Valley City State (N.D.); Brittany Stone, Our Lady of the Lake (Texas); Mykah Smith, Mid-America Christian (Okla.); Dominique Corona, Belhaven (Miss.); Kingsley Avery, Ave Maria (Fla.); Emily Rockman, Northwestern Ohio.
Pitcher Nominees: Taylor Winn, Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.); Megan Baldwin, Union (Ky.); Amy Rodrgiuez, Simpson (Calif.); Rylee Carleton, Oregon Tech; Nicole Nonnemacher, Saint Xavier (Ill.); Natalie Newell, Bethel (Ind.); Shelbi Graifman, William Jessup (Calif.); Samantha Hislop, Midland (Neb.); Taylor Pearcy, MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.); Savannah Crittenden, Houston-Victoria (Texas); McKenzie Draper, Kansas Wesleyan; Hannah Harley, Point Park (Pa.); Lyndsey Parden, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Taylor Mohler, Bellevue (Neb.); Claudia Farrell, Grand View (Iowa); Hanna Dunnigan, Jamestown (N.D.); Marci West, LSU Alexandria; Abby Meador, Oklahoma City; Ashlie Layman, USC Beaufort (S.C.); Erin Combs, Madonna (Mich.).
2015 Softball Composite Award Winners (Pitcher, Player) (Complete Schedule)
Week 1 (March 24): Hannah Moak, William Carey (Miss.); Alex Springer, Indiana Wesleyan
Week 2 (March 31): Reba Depriest, Biola (Calif.); Shelby Engle, Georgetown (Ky.)
Week 3 (April 7): Ashlie Layman, USC Beaufort (S.C.); Abbey Wilmes, Grand View (Iowa)
Week 4 (April 14): Cassie Jones, Auburn Montgomery (Ala.); Erica Miller, Marian (Ind.)