KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Zachary Oliver of Oklahoma Baptist has been named the NAIA National Men’s Golfer of the Week, the national office announced Wednesday. He was selected based on his performances from April 20 – 26 and was chosen out of a pool of conference, Association of Independent Institutions and unaffiliated group winners.
National Golfer of the Week
Zachary Oliver, Oklahoma Baptist
Jr., Checotah, Okla.
• Oliver was the individual medalist in the Sooner Athletic Conference (SAC) Championships on April 20-21 at Twin Hills Golf & Country Club in Oklahoma City, Okla.
• He shot an even-par, final round 72 and defeated Oklahoma City's Anthony Marchesani after making birdie on the second playoff hole.
• Individually, the junior finished with 72-71-72—215, good enough for 1-under-par on the par-72, 6905-yard course.
• His clutch play against 57 individuals helped his squad finish fourth as a team with a 292-295-295—882.
• With the win, Oliver guarantees himself a spot in the field at the 64th Annual NAIA Men's Golf National Championships, May 19-22 in Daytona Beach, Fla., at LPGA International.
For the complete 2015 Golfer of the Week schedule, click here.
Nominees: Matt Wells, William Woods (Mo.); Travis Rodgers, Tennessee Wesleyan; Ryan Melnychuk, Concordia (Ore.); Huston Gass, St. Francis (Ill.); Nick Waskom, Taylor (Ind.); Chris Chaney, Spring Arbor (Mich.); Brody Harwell, Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio); Jake Coffey, Indiana Wesleyan; Sean Backer, Hastings (Neb.); Keegan Bak, Morningside (Iowa); Dylan Healey, Cal State San Marcos; Chris Butler, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Callum McGuigan, Cumberlands (Ky.); Gareth Sargent, William Penn (Iowa); Anthony Marchesani, Oklahoma City
2015 NAIA National Men’s Golfers of the Week
Week 1 (March 25): Allen Bradford, Coastal Georgia
Week 2 (April 1): Anthony Marchesani, Oklahoma City
Week 3 (April 8): Will Rushworth, William Woods (Mo.)
Week 4 (April 15): Carlos Ardila, Southwestern Christian (Okla.)
Week 5 (April 22): Sean Elliott, Dalton State (Ga.)
Week 6 (April 29): Zachary Oliver, Oklahoma Baptist