By: Mike DeVader, Communications & Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Renee Hurd (pictured) of Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) has been named the NAIA National Women's Outdoor Track Athlete of the Week and Bailey Collier of Southwestern (Kan.) has been named the NAIA National Women's Outdoor Field Athlete of the Week, the national office announced Wednesday. Hurd and Collier were selected based on their performances from April 20 – 26. This is the sixth and final award of the 2015 outdoor track & field season.
Women’s Outdoor Track Athlete of the Week
Renee Hurd, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)
Sr., Pensacola, Fla.
• Hurd was named the Mid-South Conference (MSC) Athlete of the Year, after accumulating 45 total points at the MSC Championships on April 25, the most by any competitor.
• She won the 400-meter hurdles (1:06.89) and the heptathlon (3,306 points), while adding runner-up finishes in both the 400-meter dash and 4x400-meter relay. The senior finished with times of 59.64 and 4:12.03, respectively.
• In the five events, she finished no worse than fourth-place.
• The Pensacola, Fla., native collected three First Team and two Second Team All-MSC honors over the weekend while helping Lindsey Wilson to a second-place team finish.
Women's Outdoor Field Athlete of the Week
Bailey Collier, Southwestern (Kan.)
So., Bixby, Okla.
• Collier recorded this season's NAIA-best high jump clearance in the Southwestern (Kan.) Relays on April 25 with a mark of 1.81 meters (5-11 ¼).
• The jump set a meet record and a school record, establishing the feat against a field of 10 athletes.
• The new highwater mark in the NAIA is 2.5 inches above second-place, and is five inches taller than Collier, herself.
• Today’s recognition is her first national award.
For the complete Athlete of the Week calendar, click here.
Track Nominees: Julia Blumkaitis, Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.); Ashanna Hodge, Eastern Oregon; Nichole DeGrange, College of Idaho; Nathan Martin, Corban (Ore.); Catherine Crosson, St. Francis (Ill.); Elaine Schmeltz, Taylor (Ind.); Jessi Habegger, Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio); Avante Newsome-Gunn, Bethel (Ind.); Lateefah Birks, Marian (Ind.); Mya Brown, Grace (Ind.); Katherine Arch, Indiana Wesleyan; Ariel Jensen, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho); Mallery Knoll, Carroll (Mont.); Jessica Raymond, Rocky Mountain (Mont.); Skylar Forgey, Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.); Marissa DeWispelare, Doane (Neb.); Kim Wood, Concordia (Neb.); Xavier 400-meter relay team, Xavier (La.); Sarah Niemeier, Missouri Valley; Kayla Hannam, Baker (Kan.); Taylor Needham, Southwestern (Kan.); Laura Gibson, McPherson (Kan.); Jordan Calderwood, Ottawa (Kan.); Kaitlyn Keck, Friends (Kan.); Laura Gibson, McPherson (Kan.); Katie Guarnaccia, Point Park (Pa.); Tyanna Petty, Rio Grande (Ohio); Danielle Hoop, Cumberlands (Ky.); JaNaiqua Horne, Campbellsville (Ky.); Tayler Godar, Georgetown (Ky.); Sarah Biehl, Shawnee State (Ohio); Tarah Alexander, William Penn (Iowa); Nicole Woodall, St. Ambrose (Iowa); Kennedy King, Grand View (Iowa); Kayla King, Viterbo (Wis.); Monica Madavi, Valley City State (N.D.); Paitton Herbst, Dickinson State (N.D.); Hannah Fields, Oklahoma Baptist; Alexis Browner, Wayland Baptist (Texas) ; Deishane' Honeycutt, Brenau (Ga.); Allison Denetchee, William Carey (Miss.); Precious Semien, Loyola (La.); Amie Wimberly, Mobile (Ala.); Ellie Staker, Embry-Riddle (Fla.); Alli Veneklase, Davenport (Mich.); Kayla Ovokaitys, Cornerstone (Mich.); Tiffany Rauch, Indiana Tech.
Field Nominees: Marta Stangel, Eastern Oregon; Tiana Thomas, College of Idaho; LaChrissa Safforld, St. Francis (Ill.) ; Dayna Gallo, Indiana Wesleyan; Ariane Bell, Bethel (Ind.); Haley White, Taylor (Ind.); Taylor Statton, Great Falls (Mont.); Alexis Gerry, Carroll (Mont.); Karissa Blank, Doane (Neb.); Devinn Rolland, Xavier (La.); Brittney Brisco, Missouri Valley; Bryanna Music, Ottawa (Kan.); Chelsea Baker, Friends (Kan.); Halsie Large, Bethany (Kan.); Bailey Collier, Southwestern (Kan.); Carrie Coriell, Rio Grande (Ohio); Kerry Ann Walker, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Brianna Harman, Campbellsville (Ky.); Courtney Rhodes, Cumberlands (Ky.); Amber Jones, Grand View (Iowa); Jessica Meland, Valley City State (N.D.); Paitton Herbst, Dickinson State (N.D.); Stevie Baray-Forget, Loyola (La.); Logan Johnson, Mobile (Ala.); Brittany Murray, Cornerstone (Mich.).
2015 Women's Outdoor Track & Field Athletes of the Week (Field; Track)
Week 1 (March 25): McKenzie Warren, Concordia (Ore.); Alexis Browner, Wayland Baptist (Texas)
Week 2 (April 1): Elizabeth Dadzie, Oklahoma Baptist; Hannah Fields, Oklahoma Baptist
Week 3 (April 8): Amy Blucker, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.); Maria Bernard, British Columbia
Week 4 (April 15): Joelle Swanson, Oregon Tech; Rochene Smith, Wayland Baptist (Texas)
Week 5 (April 22): Halle Green-Anderson, Embry-Riddle (Fla.); Maria Bernard, British Columbia
Week 6 (April 29): Bailey Collier, Southwestern (Kan.); Renee Hurd, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)