NAIA Menís Soccer Players of the Week Ė No. 1 (Sept. 8)
By Chad Waller, Director of Communications and Sports Information
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Robbie Barnhill of Grace (Ind.) has been named the NAIA National Men’s Soccer Defensive Player of the Week and Aleksi Pahkasalo (pictured) of Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) has been named the NAIA National Men’s Soccer Offensive Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday.
National Offensive Player of the Week
Aleksi Pahkasalo, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)
5-8, Jr., MF, Vantaa, Findland
• In two matches last week, recorded six goals and 12 points in two victories.
• Scored back-to-back hat tricks, starting in the 5-1 win over Tennessee Wesleyan on Sept. 2 and finishing in the 5-0 shutout of Roosevelt (Ill.) on Sept. 6.
• Has now posted at least one point in each of the team’s four matches this season.
• Stands with seven goals on the year, which is tied for second in the NAIA.
• Has already surpassed his season-high in goals – he posted six markers in 2014 and four in 2013.
• First career NAIA National Offensive Player of the Week award.
National Defensive Player of the Week
Robbie Barnhill, Grace (Ind.)
6-3, Jr., GK, Mansfield, Ohio
• Posted three shutout victories in 270 minutes of action and tallied 11 saves in the process.
• Notched wins against Bluefield (Va.) on Sept. 2, non-NAIA institution William Peace (Pa.) on Sept. 3 and Cardinal Stritch (Wis.) on Sept. 5.
• Against Cardinal Stritch, Barnhill finished with six saves, including a key one-handed lunging save late in the contest.
• Barnhill bounced back after a season-opening stretch in which he allowed six goals in 180 minutes.
• First career NAIA National Defensive Player of the Week award.
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
Offensive Nominees: Alex Severino, William Woods (Mo.); Guillerme Cruz, Union (Ky.); Kyle Zimmerman, Northwest (Wash.); Fabio Aiello, Holy Cross (Ind.); Kyle Hamlin, Grace (Ind.); Luis Nunez, Menlo (Calif.); Wesley Lockwood, Northwestern (Iowa); Angelo Kelly, William Penn (Iowa); Jordan Perry, Clarke (Iowa); Leonardo Machado, Oklahoma Wesleyan; Joao Paulo Antonio, Rio Grande (Ohio); Rob Smith, Bellevue (Neb.); Edrian Negrete, Southwest (N.M.); Liam Madden, Science & Arts (Okla.); Alexander Neubarth, Auburn Montgomery (Ala.); Jordan Trinci-lyne, SCAD Savannah (Ga.); Tj Ifaturoti, Davenport (Mich.).
Defensive Nominees: Logan Miller, Lyon (Ark.); Macelo Mercuri, Union (Ky.); Tyler Luebbert, Southern Oregon; Brian Aldrich, Holy Cross (Ind.); Andrew Nyberg, Menlo (Calif.); Paul Quildies, Morningside (Iowa); Amer Didic, Baker (Kan.); Fernando Machado, Oklahoma Wesleyan; Callum Cobb, Rio Grande (Ohio); Yuta Nomura, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Ben Martin, Bellevue (Neb.); Angel De La Garza, Our Lady of the Lake (Texas); Marko Javanovic, Texas Wesleyan; Filip Ahlstrom, Auburn Montgomery (Ala.); Frenando Zeledon, SCAD Savannah (Ga.); Leo Hisamatsu, Siena Heights (Mich.).
2015 Men's Soccer Composite Award Winners (Defensive, Offensive)
Week 1 (September 8): Robbie Barnhill, Grace (Ind.); Aleksi Pahkasalo, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)