By Colbi Howser, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Charnelle Reed of St. Francis (Ill.) was named the NAIA Women’s Basketball Division II National Player of the Week, the national office announced on Tuesday. Reed was selected for her performance during the week of Jan. 4 – Jan. 11 and was selected out of the conference and Association of Independent Institutions award winners.
Division II Women’s Basketball Player of the Week
Charnelle Reed, St. Francis (Ill.)
Jr., F, Chicago Heights, Ill.
• Posted two double-doubles against nationally-ranked teams in wins against No. 16 Purdue Calumet (Ind.) and No. 1 Saint Xavier (Ill.)
• Has seven double-doubles on the season; three of those against Top 25 teams.
• Recorded a career high six offensive rebounds this week against No. 16 Purdue Calument.
• Recording a .750 free throw percentage this week (6-8).
• Averaging 19.0 points per games ranking nationally No. 16 in total scoring (311).
• Ranked No. 23 in defensive rebounds per game (6.2) and No. 24 in total rebounds (154).
• She ranks No. 28 in total steals (39) and No. 39 in steals per game (2.39).
• This is her first career Player of the Week honor.
For a complete list of all the Women’s Basketball Division II statistical leaders, click here.
For a complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
Nominees: Shann Sellers, Friends (Kan.); Kristen Ward, Johnson & Wales (Colo.); Megan Klein, Dickinson State (N.D.); Brooke Marcum, Rio Grande (Ohio); Gabby Williams, Goshen (Ind.); Dereese Owens, Point (Ga.); Nicki Monahan, Indiana Northwest; Becca Sabol, Madonna (Mich.); Christin Strawbridge, Southeastern (Fla.); Alex Kneeland, Mount Marty (S.D.); Niki Duncan, Northwest Christian (Ore.); Jordan Mootz, Cal Maritime
2015-16 Division II Women's Basketball Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (January 06): Abbey Hengesbach, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)
Week 2 (January 13): Charnelle Reed, St. Francis (Ill.)