By Colbi Howser, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Deaundra Young of College of Saint Mary (Neb.) was named the NAIA Division II Women’s Basketball Player of the Week, the national office announced on Tuesday. Young was selected for her performance during the week of Jan. 11 – 17 and was selected out of the conference and Association of Independent Institutions award winners.
Division II Women’s Basketball Player of the Week
Deaundra Young, College of Saint Mary (Neb.)
Sr., C, Mims, Fla.
• Has recorded 15 double-doubles this season, two-of-which coming last week against then-No. 9 Concordia (Neb.) and Mount Marty (S.D.).
• Recorded a career high 41 points and grabbed 12 rebounds in first double-double of the week in a loss against Concordia.
• Averaging 33.5 points per game, 14.5 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 blocks on the week.
• Holds average of 57.8 percent on field goals throughout the season (144-249), as well as an 80.5 free throw percentage (62-77).
• Ranks No. 1 in total rebounds per game (13.6) and defensive rebounds per game (10)
• Ranks No. 2 in blocks per game (3.2) and points per game (21.9).
• Holds rankings in 11 national categories.
• This is her second career player of the week honor
For a complete list of all the Women’s Basketball Division II statistical leaders, click here.
For a complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
Nominees: Kelsey Key, Indiana Wesleyan; Abbey Hengesbach, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.); Jenna Lundon, Mayville State (N.D.); Murphy Carroll, Fisher (Mass.); Darah Dewalt, Montreat (N.C.); Jordyn Miller, Southwestern (Kan.); Christina Henry, Lawrence Tech (MI); Kelsie Jurin, Simpson (Calif.); Katie Rienas, St. Thomas (Fla.); Catie Fletcher, Asbury (Ky.); Sadie Pilgeram, Corban (Ore.)
2015-16 Division II Women's Basketball Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (January 06): Abbey Hengesbach, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)
Week 2 (January 13): Charnelle Reed, St. Francis (Ill.)
Week 3 (January 20): Deaundra Young, College of Saint Mary (Neb.)