NAIA Menís Division II Basketball Player of the Week Ė No. 3 (Jan. 19)
By Scott Barker, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Travis Giesselmann of Nebraska Wesleyan was named NAIA Division II Men’s Basketball National Player of the Week, the national office announced on Tuesday. Giesselmann was selected for his play during the week of Jan. 11 – 17 and was chosen out of the conference and Association of Independent Institutions award winners.
NAIA Division II Men's Basketball Player of the Week
Travis Giesselmann, Nebraska Wesleyan
6-4 Sr., F, Elkhorn, Neb.
• Averaged 31.0 points per game and 9.5 rebounds per game to lead the Prairie Wolves to a 2-0 week.
• Ranks No. 4 in the NAIA in defensive rebounds per game (7.8), No. 10 in points per game (23.0), No. 18 in total rebounds per game (9.5) and No. 20 in total scoring (391)
• Recorded his seventh double-double on the season – 35 points and 11 rebounds – in an 88-87 win over Doane (Neb.) on Jan. 13.
• Logged 27 points, eight assists and eight rebounds in a 111-97 victory over Morningside (Iowa).
• Shot 53 percent (21-for-39) from the floor and 43 percent (7-for-16) from the 3-point line for the week.
• He also averaged 5.5 assists and 2.5 steals in the two victories.
• Leads the team in rebounds per game and total rebounds (162). He is second on the team in points per game, total points, steals (32), blocks (10) and assists (73).
• This is his first-career National Player of the Week award and the first for Nebraska Wesleyan, dating back to 2012.
For a complete list of all the Division II Men’s Basketball statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
Nominees: Trey Suttles, Tennessee Wesleyan ; Omar Richards, Northwest Christian (Ore.) ; Miles Robinson, Indiana Tech ; Tyler Shular, Fisher (Mass.) ; Cameron Clark, Southwestern (Kan.) ; Stanley Whittaker, Keiser (Fla.) ; Jens Kennedy, St. Francis (Ill.) ; Donnell Minton, Presentation (S.D.) ; Richie Thornton V, Benedictine Mesa (Ariz.) ; Ryan Atkins, WVU Tech ; Austin Fox, Saint Francis (Ind.).
2015-16 Division II Men's Basketball Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (January 5): Ilya Ilyayev, St. Francis (Ill.)
Week 2 (January 12): Brandon Vanderhegghen, Grace (Ind.)
Week 3 (January 19): Travis Giesselmann, Nebraksa Wesleyan