KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Melissa Norman of Vanguard (Calif.) has been named the NAIA National Division I Women’s Basketball Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. This honor, which encompasses performances from Jan. 18 – 24, is chosen out of a pool of conference player of the week selections.
National Player of the Week
Melissa Norman, Vanguard (Calif.)
6-2, Sr., C, Elk Grove, Calif.
• Led the Lions to a pair of road wins over Golden State Athletic Conference rivals Biola (Calif.) and Arizona Christian, averaging 17 points, 17 rebounds and two blocks per game.
• Tied a season-high with 19 boards in a 53-50 win over the Eagles on Jan. 19. Added nine points, including seven from the free throw line, and three blocks in that contest.
• Scored a team-leading and season-best 25 points with 15 rebounds en route to her ninth double-double of the season in a 79-66 win against Arizona Christian on Jan. 23.
• Shot 44.0 percent (11-of-25) from the field and 75.0 percent (12-for-16) from the free throw line.
• Leads the NAIA in total rebounds per game (11.2), while ranking No. 2 in offensive rebounds per game (4.5).
• Nine double-doubles on the season ranks No. 2 nationally.
• First career National Player of the Week honor.
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
National Nominees: Kourtney Pennywell, LSU Shreveport (La.); Dajonee Hale, Central Methodist (Mo.); Krystal Forthan, Wayland Baptist (Texas); Jamie Jackson, Lyon (Ark.); Reggotta Craig, Auburn Montgomery (Ala.); Tajanee Wells, Talladega (Ala.); Caelyn Orlandi, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho); Bre Neal, Cumberland (Tenn.).
2015-16 Division I Women’s Basketball Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (Jan. 5): Sarai Rodriguez, Mid-America Christian (Okla.)
Week 2 (Jan. 12): Aundrea Matchen, Pikeville (Ky.)
Week 3 (Jan. 19): Lindsey Burd, Campbellsville (Ky.)
Week 4 (Jan. 26): Melissa Norman, Vanguard (Calif.)