KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Tyler Hinton of Ottawa (Kan.) has been named the NAIA National Wrestler of the Week, the national office announced Wednesday. He was chosen based on his performances from Jan. 18 – 24. This is the fourth of six weekly awards for the 2016 season.
National Wrestler of the Week
Tyler Hinton, Ottawa (Kan.)
141-pound, Sr., Baltimore, Md.
• Won the 141-pound title at the Kansas Cup, hosted by NCAA Division II Newman University.
• Helped the Braves to a fourth-place finish out of 12 teams.
• Pinned his first three opponents before claiming a 13-1 major decision win over Dilon Scanlon of Benedictine (Kan.) in the finals.
• Named the 2016 Kansas Cup Outstanding Wrestler.
• Earns the first national weekly award of his career.
• Hinton is the first grappler in Ottawa (Kan.) program history to win the National Wrestler of the Week award.
For the complete NAIA Wrestler of the Week calendar, click here.
National Nominees: Andrew Carter-Johnson, Missouri Baptist; Bruce Whitehead, Lyon (Ark.); Michael Chatman , Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.); Matt Mattingley, Hannibal-LaGrange (Mo.); Jr Lule, Concordia (Neb.); Lance Lucas, Doane (Neb.); Victor Hughes, Baker (Kan.); Gabi Musallam, Missouri Valley; Taylor Hodel, Dickinson State (N.D.); Jake Weimer, Indiana Tech.
2016 Wrestling Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (Jan. 6): Andrew Long, Grand View (Iowa)
Week 2 (Jan. 13): Andrew Schulte, Concordia (Neb.)
Week 3 (Jan. 20): Tanner Werner, Grand View (Iowa)
Week 4 (Jan. 27): Tyler Hinton, Ottawa (Kan.)