By Colbi Howser, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Jenna Daniel of Oklahoma Wesleyan has been named the NAIA National Softball Pitcher of the Week and Tara Moates of Oregon Tech has been named the NAIA National Softball Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Moates and Daniels were selected based on their performances from March 21 – 27, and were chosen out of a pool of conference, Association on Independent Institutions and Unaffiliated group winners. This is the second NAIA National Softball weekly award.
Softball Pitcher of the Week
Jenna Daniel, Oklahoma Wesleyan
Sr., P, Stafford, Texas
• Did not allow a run in three starts.
• Combined for 31 strikeouts, nine total hits and two walks in 19 innings pitched.
• Struck out 14-of-15 possible batters in a one-hit complete game shutout against Crowley’s Ridge (Ark.), March 25.
• Ranks in four statistical categories including, No. 13 in opponent batting average (.176) and No. 17 in hits allowed per nine (4.5), earned run average (1.2), and innings pitched per game (6.3).
• This is her first career pitcher of the week honor.
Softball Player of the Week
Tara Moates, Oregon Tech
So., IF, Klamath Falls, Ore.
• Leads the Owls to a 6-0 record on the week en route to a 16-11 mark overall.
• Finished week with 18 RBI, six home runs, two doubles and scored 10 runs.
• Hit .700 on the week, bringing season batting average up to .500.
• Averaging 3.3 at bats, 2.3 hits, 1.8 runs and 3.0 RBIs with three home runs in a doubleheader against Northwest Christian (Ore.) set a school record and tie the conference mark for home runs in a game.
• Averaging 3.3 at bats, 2.3 hits, 1.8 runs and 3.0 RBIs.
• Ranks in 16 statistical categories including, No. 5 in total bases per game (3.1) and slugging percentage (.939)
• This is her second player of the week honor.
For more information on NAIA softball, click here.
For a complete listing of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
Player Nominees: Katie Heaton, Stephens (Mo.); Danielle Borum, Union (Ky.); Anna Boffeli, St. Ambrose (Iowa); Alex Springer, Indiana Wesleyan; Abby Beasley, Arizona Christian; Morgan Fisher, Hastings (Neb.); Alexis Pacheco, MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.); Alyssa Hathcoat, Georgia Gwinnett; Jayci Wang, Oklahoma Wesleyan; Ariel Gaskill, Cincinnati Christian (Ohio); Brianna Scott, Campbellsville (Ky.); Cejay Hilhorst, Valley City State (N.D.); Julinn Torres, LSU Alexandria; Shania Beck, Science & Arts (Okla.); Taylor Clinkenbeard, Mobile (Ala.); Bri Girardin, Southeastern (Fla.); Megan Mosiniak, Lourdes (Ohio)
Pitcher Nominees: Taylor Winn, Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.); Jessica Goodson, Milligan (Tenn.); Dayton Yingling, Benedictine Mesa (Ariz.); Ali Graham, Oregon Tech; Alyssa Sansone, Calumet (Ind.); Kaitlyn Sinclair, Spring Arbor (Mich.); Jackie Aguilar, Arizona Christian; Sierra Haage, Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.); Erin Enke, Central Methodist (Mo.); Taylor Hansis, Georgia Gwinnett; Emily Weiss, Indiana Southeast; Victoria Decker, Campbellsville (Ky.); Morgan Nalley, Valley City State (N.D.); Jamison Dumont, Houston-Victoria (Texas); Bryn Houlton, St. Gregory's (Okla.); Brittany Bishop, Martin Methodist (Tenn.); Lindsie Scholwinski, Southeastern (Fla.); Brooke Leonard, Cornerstone (Mich.)
2015-16 Softball Composite Award Winners (Pitcher, Player)
Week 1 (March 23): Victoria Decker, Campbellsville (Ky.) , Ariel Roder, Rio Grande (Ohio)
Week 2 (March 30): Jenna Daniel, Oklahoma Wesleyan , Tara Moates, Oregon Tech