2016 NAIA Menís Tennis Player of the Week Ė No. 2 (March 30)
By Colbi Howser, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Raul Mendez of Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) has been named the NAIA National Men's Tennis Player of the Week, the national office announced Wednesday. He was selected based on his performances from March 21-27 and was chosen out of a pool of conference, Association of Independent Institutions and unaffiliated group winners.
National Tennis Player of the Week
Raul Mendez, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)
Sr., Mexico City, Mexico
• Won three singles matches at No. 2 singles and partnered Denis Porcic to claim three doubles wins.
• Won his three singles matches in straight sets.
• Picked up singles wins against athletes from ranked teams: No. 13 Reinhardt (Ga.) (6-2, 6-4), No. 23 Asbury (Ky.) (6-1, 6-4) and No. 22 Cumberland (Tenn.) (6-2, 6-4).
• Boasts a 5-4 record in singles matches this season and a 6-3 mark in doubles.
• Helped team to a 3-0 record on the week en route to a 7-2 mark overall.
• This is his first career player of the week honor.
Nominees: Johnnie Carmichael, William Woods (Mo.); Fabio Pereira, Reinhardt (Ga.); Daniel Blanchard, Point (Ga.); Jackson Lenoir, Milligan (Tenn.); Boris Peshev, St. Francis (Ill.); Chris Kerswell, Judson (Ill.); Navarro Veys, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.); Brad Foster, Bethel (Ind.); Razvan Dobrin, Hastings (Neb.); Adam Albrecht , Xavier (La.); Heitor Garcia, Missouri Valley; Kevin Konfederak, Georgia Gwinnett; Nick Roby, Indiana Southeast; Jan Kappes, Pikeville (Ky.); Adrian Sabrojo, Campbellsville (Ky.); Joe Bray, Dalton State (Ga.); Santiago Veglia, Auburn Montgomery (Ala.); Vivien Versier, William Carey (Miss.); Tim Buehler, Mobile (Ala.); Arthur Bonnaud, Keiser (Fla.); Fernando Luis Soto, St. Thomas (Fla.); Santiago Mackrey, Cornerstone (Mich.); Sergio Lopez, Lawrence Tech (MI)
2015-16 Men's Tennis Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (March 23): Birkir Gunnarsson, Auburn Montgomery (Ala.)
Week 2 (March 30): Raul Mendez, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)