2016 Menís Outdoor Track & Field Athletes of the Week Ė No. 2 (March 30)
By Scott Barker, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Jacob Armbrust has been selected as the NAIA National Men’s Outdoor Field Athlete of the Week and Sam Atkin of Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) has been named NAIA National Men’s Outdoor Track Athlete of the Week, the national office announced Wednesday. Armbrust and Atkin were selected based on their performances from March 21-27 and were chosen out of a pool of conference and Association of Independent Institutions award winners.
Men’s Indoor Field Athlete of the Week:
Jacon Armbrust, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)
Sr., Metamora, Ill.
• Finished first in two events at the Polar Bear Invitational in Marion, Ind., on March 24.
• Recorded a shot put of 17.56 meters (57 feet, 7.5 inches) – 1.92-meters (6 feet, 3 inches) farther than the second-place finisher.
• He threw the discus 52.07 meters (170 feet, 10 inches), which was 5.05 meters farther than the next competitor.
• Currently ranks first in the NAIA in both events and has qualified for the NAIA Outdoor Track & Field National Championships.
• This is his third career national field athlete of the week award – April 1, 2015 and April 22, 2015
Men’s Indoor Track Athlete of the Week:
Sam Atkin, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho)
Sr., Lincolnshire, Eng.
• Finished first out of 39 athletes in the 5,000-meter run at the Williamette (Ore.) Invite on March 26.
• His time of 13:57.28 is the fastest time in the NAIA and the third-best time of any runner in any division.
• He lapped all but one runner in the race, and defeated the second-place finisher by 53.21 seconds.
• Qualified for the NAIA Outdoor Track & Field National Championships by hitting the “A” standard.
• This is his first career national outdoor track athlete of the week award.
For the complete Athlete of the Week calendar, click here.
Track Nominees: William Henry, Park (Mo.); Taylor Tafelsky, Milligan (Tenn.); Andrew Slaton, Union (Ky.); Nathan Martin, Corban (Ore.); Daniel Garcia, Cardinal Stritch (Wis.); Taylor Killings, Marian (Ind.); Carl Jones Jr., Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio); Noah Stratton, Indiana Wesleyan; Joseph Beamish, Taylor (Ind.); Alex Lodes, Spring Arbor (Mich.); Quamel Sessoms, Dillard (La.); Michael Hubbard, William Penn (Iowa); John Gay, British Columbia; Brady Johnson, Friends (Kan.); Clint Swanson, Indiana East; Desmond Marrow, Point Park (Pa.); Paxton Wiley, Campbellsville (Ky.); Kevin Hallmon, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Erico Smith, Cumberlands (Ky.); Malik Jackson, Valley City State (N.D.); Caleb Gilbertson, Waldorf (Iowa); Seth Boomsma, Dakota State (S.D.); Marbeq Edgar, Wiley (Texas); Luis Ramirez, Our Lady of the Lake (Texas); Tre Hinds, Wayland Baptist (Texas); Gerardo Nava, SAGU (Texas); James Faison, Mobile (Ala.); Ace Brown, SCAD Savannah (Ga.); Anthony Vecchio, USC Beaufort (S.C.)
Field Nominees: Steven Hill, Park (Mo.); Tyler Martin, Reinhardt (Ga.); Stephen Gray, Union (Ky.); Jason Bracken, Corban (Ore.); Logan Clonce, Marian (Ind.); Dalen Beck, Indiana Wesleyan; Sam Nordquist, Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio); Harry Dantona, Taylor (Ind.); Kevin Smith, Spring Arbor (Mich.); Owen Lanning, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho); Christopher Kennie, Xavier (La.); Cameron Tyler, Dillard (La.); Nate Johnston, Grand View (Iowa); Derek Seddon, William Penn (Iowa); Jesse Austin, Baker (Kan.); Trey Bellows, Friends (Kan.); Seth Reynolds, Indiana East; Jryi Davis, Point Park (Pa.); Desmond Mobley, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Cameron Smoak, Cumberlands (Ky.); Garland Webb, Campbellsville (Ky.); NeShaun Gordon, St. Catharine (Ky.); Andrew Hanretty, Valley City State (N.D.); Machael Mark, Wiley (Texas); Wayne Northover, Wayland Baptist (Texas); Daron Hooks, Mobile (Ala.); Devin Williams, Keiser (Fla.); Trevor Wright, Indiana Tech
2015-16 Men's Outdoor T&F Composite Award Winners (Field, Track)
Week 1 (March 23): Eric England, Eastern Oregon , John Broaden, Indiana Tech
Week 2 (March 30): Jacob Armbrust, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.) , Sam Atkin, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho)