By Colbi Howser, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Kaitlyn Riley of Cumberlands (Ky.) has been named the NAIA National Women’s Golfer of the Week, the national office announced Wednesday. Gibson was selected based on her performances from March 28 – April 3 and was chosen out of a pool of conference, Association of Independent Institutions and unaffiliated group winners.
National Golfer of the Week
Kaitlyn Riley, Cumberlands (Ky.)
So., Lawrenceburg, Ky.
• Shot 1-under-par in first round at TPC Deere Run Women’s Intercollegiate Invitational on March 28-29, while holding even-par on the second day.
• A two-day total of 143 led to a first-place individual finish, winning by 13 strokes out of 81 golfers from numerous top 25 teams, including No. 8 Bellevue (Neb.) and No. 20 William Penn (Iowa).
• Led the Patriots to a first-place team finish (623 points), beating previous champion Bellevue by 17 strokes.
• Tallied nine birdies in the tournament.
• This is her first career player of the week honor.
Nominees: Katie Warren, William Woods (Mo.); Paula Vega, Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.); Mackenzie Mehaffey, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.); Alex Catalano, St. Francis (Ill.); Maggie Kaiser, Indiana Wesleyan; Brittany Smith, Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio); Karina Davila, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho); Alexandra Mankle, Morningside (Iowa); Jessica Weickert, Peru State (Neb.); Lucy Clark, Culver-Stockton (Mo.); Elise Warne, William Penn (Iowa); Breanna Nowak, Indiana East; Savanna Nesemeier, Jamestown (N.D.); Stephanie Gerber, Viterbo (Wis.); Hannah Duvall, Wayland Baptist (Texas); Julia McQuilken, Dalton State (Ga.); Diane Lim, Coastal Georgia; Elsa Westin, Keiser (Fla.); Franzi Knoetsch, USC Beaufort (S.C.); Sofia Molinaro, SCAD Savannah (Ga.); Claudia Stampa, Lawrence Tech (MI)
2015-16 Women's Golf Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (March 23): Cassidy Gibson, Milligan (Tenn.)
Week 2 (March 30): Alex Schie, Texas Wesleyan
Week 3 (April 06): Kaitlyn Riley, Cumberlands (Ky.)