By Colbi Howser, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Coastal Georgia is the new No. 1 men’s golf program, announced Friday in the 2015-16 NAIA Men’s Golf Coaches’ Top 25 Poll. The final regular-season installment will be conducted on May 13, 2016.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 2000):
• With 14-of-17 first-place votes and 463 total points, Coastal Georgia is this week’s new No. 1-ranked program. The Pioneers last held this position on August 28, 2015, which was the preseason poll.
• Starting the preseason at No. 1, the Mariners lost the top spot in the last three polls ranking as low as No. 4 and No. 3.
• In five polls this year (including the Preseason), there have now been four different No. 1 teams: Coastal Georgia, Keiser (Fla.), Johnson & Wales (Fla.) and Wayland Baptist (Texas).
• Last week’s top-ranked team, Wayland Baptist (Texas), drops down to No. 2 in this edition. The Pioneers captured the remaining three first-place nods.
• No. 25 Cardinal Stritch (Wis.) finds a spot back in the Top 25 after missing the cut in the previous poll.
• No. 10 Cumberlands (Ky.), No. 14 USC Beaufort (S.C.) and No. 17 Mount Mercy (Iowa) all enjoyed the most improvement within the poll, sliding up three spots.
• No. 18 Webber International (Fla.) saw the most significant drop in the poll, falling four spots from the previous week.
• Seventeen teams have been ranked in every poll this season.
• Thirteen of 20 conferences and Unaffiliated Groups are represented this week in the Top 25. The Sun Conference is the leader with five ranked programs, followed by the Southern States Athletic Conference and the Unaffiliated Group containing the Red River Athletic Conference and Sooner Athletic Conference with three Top 25 schools each.
• Oklahoma City leads the NAIA with 39 all-time No. 1 rankings, followed by former member Oklahoma Christian (28) and Texas Wesleyan. Wayland Baptist are next with six No. 1 spots and Coastal Georgia.
• In 2015, Coastal Georgia, Oklahoma City, and William Woods held the No. 1 spot at least once during the season. There have been 11 teams all-time to hold the top position at least once.
• Oklahoma City is the only Preseason No. 1 team to go on to win the national championship during the same season – 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2010.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences and the Association of Independent Institutions.
• The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for second-place and so on through the list.
• The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low ratings) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appears on.
• Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes”
• For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
2015-16 NAIA Men’s Golf Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – No. 4 (April 8)
|RANK||LAST WEEK||SCHOOL (1ST PLACE VOTES)||TOTAL POINTS|
|1||3||Coastal Georgia (14)||463|
|2||1||Wayland Baptist (Texas) (3)||444|
|3||4||William Woods (Mo.)||440|
|4||2||Johnson & Wales (Fla.)||429|
|8||9||Grand View (Iowa)||351|
|14||17||USC Beaufort (S.C.)||275|
|15||16||Dalton State (Ga.)||257|
|17||20||Mount Mercy (Iowa)||243|
|18||14||Webber International (Fla.)||229|
|19||19||The Master's (Calif.)||193|
|21||22||Lewis-Clark State (Idaho)||137|
|25||NR||Cardinal Stritch (Wis.)||113|
Dropped from the Top 25: No. 25 Thomas (Ga.).
Others receiving votes: Thomas (Ga.) 96, Reinhardt (Ga.) 45, St. Thomas (Fla.) 41, Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.) 39, St. Gregory's (Okla.) 26, William Jessup (Calif.) 26, Cumberland (Tenn.) 22, Mobile (Ala.) 21, Warner (Fla.) 10, Embry-Riddle (Ariz.) 9, Bellevue (Neb.) 9, St. Ambrose (Iowa) 4, Northwestern (Iowa) 3